"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Campfire & Dutch Oven Cooking

Old 05-13-2007, 11:35 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

DO with no legs, LOL

I bought a very nice, and cheap 10" Dutch Oven for only $10. Then I realized that it didn't have any legs. I'm wondering if there's a way to rig a setup, some kind of trivit that will allow me to put the DO off of the coals.

I'll work anyway. It's a cute Lil' thing

Old 05-13-2007, 11:37 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
You could make a thick ring of tin foil. Maybe??

Old 05-13-2007, 11:41 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
If you plan to use the DO in a campfire, I don't think a ring of foil will stand up to the fire. Perhaps there are other ways to keep it elevated.

Nightjar, you might get some good advice from Uncle Bob on the subject. You could wait until he posts an answer or send him a PM with your question.

Best wishes on your search for an answer.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:01 AM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

This DO is for stove top or oven use. Not for the campfire.

You could use a couple of half bricks. Also important is the shape of the lid. If the DO has no legs it probably has a domed lid. You need a flat lid with a lip around the outside to hold coals on top.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:03 AM   #5
Cook

If you have a lid stand, you can use it to elevate the Dutch oven over coals. If the lid doesn't have a lip around it, you can make a ring out of foil to help hold coals on the lid.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:32 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

You bought reallllllllly cheaply. So you deserve take some defects lol~
I think ring of foil is surely enough ~~
Old 05-14-2007, 07:59 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
This DO is for stove top or oven use. Not for the campfire.

You could use a couple of half bricks. Also important is the shape of the lid. If the DO has no legs it probably has a domed lid. You need a flat lid with a lip around the outside to hold coals on top.
Nightjar

Andy's post says it all. The brick trick will get it up off the ground so you can put coals underneather for stews, soups, maybe some frying with proper fire control. A lid stand will work as well, but will probably cost about the same amount as the pot. As for "baking" or dishes that require heat from above as well as underneather I don't know if a foil ring(on top) would work or not. It might. In the end a lot of trouble to go to. I would suggest you go back to the same store where you bought the pot and buy a camp(with legs) oven. A 10" import can be bought for 15.00 or so. Or try to find an American made one by Lodge Manufacturing in Tennessee. Hold on to the pot you bought as it can serve you well on/in your kitchen stove as well as some limited uses around the camp fire. Hope this helps!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 08:04 AM   #8
Cook

Setting the Dutch oven on top of a ring of foil will not work. If the coals are inside the ring under the oven, there will be no way for oxygen to get to the coals to keep them burning.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:43 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Uncle Bob and Andy M. are right about using this type of DO. This type is also used to hang above a campfire also. I am assuming that there is a handle attached to the pot by which to hang it.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:00 AM   #10
Cook

I can say from my own experience that a ring of foil will work to hold charcoal on a domed lid. You just have to take extra care to avoid getting ash in the food. And while a lid stand will cost you about the same as what you paid for your pot, it's a very versatile tool that's well worth the investment IMO. Not only does the lid stand give you a place to set your lid so it doesn't get contaminated with dirt, grass, etc., it's also great for keeping hot pots off tabletops and can be used with an inverted lid as a cooking surface for eggs, pancakes, etc., or as a serving plate.