"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Campfire & Dutch Oven Cooking

Old 02-08-2009, 10:52 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Question Dry White Wine Substitute?

I have been doing research to find out what will be the best substitute for dry white wine in this amazing Dutch oven recipe. I am a Boy Scout leader and don't want to be bringing wine on scout outings (plus I don't drink). I want to try to replicate the wine as close as possible without throwing off the taste of the dish as I realize it is a key ingredient.

I know that substitutions depend on the recipe so here are the ingredients.

Salmon River Chicken Cordon Bleu In Wine Sauce
4 Chicken breasts
Ham
Swiss Cheese
Flour
Sour Cream
cheese/galic dry salad dressing
parmesan cheese
1/2 c. dry white wine (what can I substitute???)
eggs
butter
bread crumbs
cream of chicken soup

Old 02-08-2009, 10:55 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Would chicken stock work??

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 12:09 PM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

Chicken stock would be what I would have suggested as well for this particular recipe.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:21 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Dry White Wine Substitue?

This comes up fairly often. I'm guilty of never finding an answer because I always use "the real deal". I see where you can't!!!!

I would try subbing with white grape juice, apple cider, apple juice, mixed with a bit of water so it's not so sweet. My first sub choice would probably be diluted white grape juice...probably equal parts.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 12:34 PM   #5
Head Chef

This isn't exactly a delicate little dish. With all the heavy ingredients (Swiss and Parmesan cheese, cream of chicken soup, garlic & cheese salad dressing mix, sour cream, eggs, butter, and ham), cup of wine would add insignificant flavor. I doubt your scouts, or just about anyone for that matter, would be able to tell the difference if you omitted it entirely and simply added cup of water.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:48 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Something else I thought of....Ginger Ale!

As the father of an Eagle Scout let me personally thank you for the work you do for Scouting!! ---- Thank you!!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 12:51 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post
This isn't exactly a delicate little dish. With all the heavy ingredients (Swiss and Parmesan cheese, cream of chicken soup, garlic & cheese salad dressing mix, sour cream, eggs, butter, and ham), cup of wine would add insignificant flavor. I doubt your scouts, or just about anyone for that matter, would be able to tell the difference if you omitted it entirely and simply added cup of water.
Yea, I know what you mean about the rest of the ingredients being heavy. I have used white wine with cream of mushroom soup and it gave it a certain sweetness. That's why I truly think some watered down white grape juice would work...still lending that bit of sweetness that cuts through the creaminess of the other ingredients.

I also don't think anyone would notice. If it were me I'd use the watered down grape juice because I think it would work the best in subbing that flavor.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 01:29 PM   #8
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I would not use anything sweet as a sub. either chicken stock or water would be fine. You might even want to dilute the chicken stock half and half with water, to replicate the texture of the wine.

Sounds like a tasty recipe!
Old 02-08-2009, 06:48 PM   #9
Cook

Thank you for asking this question!! So many of the recipes I would love to make call for white wine, but since I'm not 21 yet I guess I'll just have to be patient and try some of these substitutes.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:31 PM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
Yea, I know what you mean about the rest of the ingredients being heavy. I have used white wine with cream of mushroom soup and it gave it a certain sweetness. That's why I truly think some watered down white grape juice would work...still lending that bit of sweetness that cuts through the creaminess of the other ingredients.

I also don't think anyone would notice. If it were me I'd use the watered down grape juice because I think it would work the best in subbing that flavor.
By definition DRY white wine -- or any dry wine, for that matter -- is extremely low in residual sugar, generally less than 1/2 percent by weight and often much lower, frequently in the range of 1/10 to 3/10 of a percent.

Granted, alcohol itself has a somewhat sweet note, but it all quickly evaporates when it's heated.

Consequently, adding anything sweet as a substitute for the dry wine could alter the taste of the dish. I wouldn't do it.

Tags
substitute, wine