"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Campfire & Dutch Oven Cooking

Old 10-20-2007, 02:58 PM   #41
Master Chef

LOL ... we've had several discussions about Griswold CI over the years ... and like I said, my Aunt has some that was Grandma's ... she just happens to have the same pot so I called her up last night and had her double check the dimensions and markings for me. Don't let him fool ya' - Goodweed is just playing dumb like a fox - I've learned a lot about Griswold from him ... and he has some.

LOL ... Goodweed - it's not always what you know - it's knowing where and how to find the answer. I've got a library card, and I know how to Google.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:25 PM   #42
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
Hello David Cotrell,
If you are thinking Le Creuset but hate to spend the money, check your local Target store. They carry an enameled smaller 5 Qt round pot made by Chefmate that costs $40.
IKEA also has an oval 5.5 Qts (I think) made in France for about $50.
According to Cook Illustrated, Target's product matches Le Creuset performance on their testing, I own the IKEA one and is great

Old 10-22-2007, 11:40 AM   #43
Master Chef

I would always suggest going with the more expensive enameled dutch oven becasue you can cook acidic foods, like tomato sauce in it.

You really shouldn't cook acidic foods in uncoated cast iron.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:48 AM   #44
Head Chef

wysiwyg and jennyema, thanks for the tips - l'll use them in a longer range plan to buy the enameled version of a cast iron Dutch Oven. The nearest Target store to me is about a 80 mile round trip :( so that will be a special future trip - it does seem that their plain cast iron and enameled versions are well recommended at decent prices. Thanks.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:18 PM   #45
Master Chef

David, you might want to search this forum for other discussions on Dutch Ovens, there were few of them.
As far as recommendations you had few good ones here. I still would like to add my 2 cents. Nothing beats a good seasoned cast iron Dutch oven, like the one my mom has, it is my grand mothers and is probably 50-60 years old. But what do you do when you canít lift one anymore, like my self. I had a work injury a while ago and canít really lift anything heavy anymore, it hurts so much that even small 3 quart Dutch oven (that is also my grandmaís) is too heavy for me to lift. Well, one learns to adopt. The pot Iím using is an ďaluminum Dutch ovenĒ and Iím using this term just because that is what the place that sells them call it. It is not a good idea to use it for anything acidic, but other than that I can assure you it works wonders. Oh, yeah, last but not least, the price is right. Here is the site, you decide what to do. Aluminum Dutch Ovens or a great alternative to cast iron dutch ovens
Old 10-22-2007, 12:35 PM   #46
Head Chef

CharlieD - thanks for the tips! Oh me am I sorry about your back - I hope it's something that can mend - take care of it! I'm coming across more and more people with bad backs from one thing or another so please do take care.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:41 PM   #47
Master Chef

Thank you, David, actually it is my arms, forarms that is, some times it hurts so much, I can't even lift a pencil.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:40 PM   #48
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
I would always suggest going with the more expensive enameled dutch oven becasue you can cook acidic foods, like tomato sauce in it.

You really shouldn't cook acidic foods in uncoated cast iron.
Interesting that you say that, may I ask why? My mother cooked sloppy joes in her cast iron all my life. When she got hers, there was no such thing as enamel coating.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:55 PM   #49
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
Interesting that you say that, may I ask why? My mother cooked sloppy joes in her cast iron all my life. When she got hers, there was no such thing as enamel coating.

Because acidic ingredients react with the iron. While not harmful, it can add a weird taste to your food and give it an "off" color.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:22 PM   #50
Executive Chef

Ah, okay. I guess 50 years of seasoning has fixed that little problem with her pans.