"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Campfire & Dutch Oven Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-30-2007, 09:43 AM   #1
Head Chef
 
keltin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Down South in Alabama
Posts: 2,285
Send a message via AIM to keltin
Dutch Oven Beef Goulash

I read through many different versions of Goulash, and finally put together this version to be made outdoors in a 10Ē Dutch Oven. It turned out really well and is rather fun to cook.

Dutch Oven Goulash

1-2 Pounds beef, cubed
1 medium onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups sliced mushroom
1 can petite diced tomatoes (undrained)
1 cup beef broth
1 bay leaf
2 tbsp Hungarian paprika
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tbsp oil
3/4 cup sour cream
Salt to taste

Number of Coals: 20 (8 bottom, 12 top)
Dutch Oven: 10Ē

Prep everything ahead of time and place in bowls/containers that you can have with you at the Dutch Oven. Place 8 coals under the DO, and 12 on top. Let the DO heat for 3-5 minutes. Remove lid to safe place and add the oil. Next, add onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Sautee until DO cools down, about 3 minutes.

Add meat, mushrooms, paprika, pepper, and bayleaf. Stir well to incorporate.

Add tomatoes and beef broth and stir well. Cover with lid and let cook for 1.5 to 2 hours or until meat is tender.

Once meat is tender, add sour cream and stir well to incorporate. Heat 10 minutes more to bring Goulash back to temp and then serve in bowls over egg noodles.

You can serve it as is, but it is better with the egg noodles. If using egg noodles, obviously youíll need a way to cook the noodles separately. Either cook them in another DO, or on the stove, or if working with only one DO, cook them ahead of time and set aside in air tight container.

__________________

__________________
keltin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 10:14 AM   #2
Head Chef
 
GrillingFool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: usa
Posts: 2,223
Could the noodles be cooked on a pan sitting ON TOP of the DO,
using the top coals as heat?

(I might have to get me one of these things, could be fun!)
__________________

__________________
GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 10:46 AM   #3
Head Chef
 
keltin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Down South in Alabama
Posts: 2,285
Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillingFool View Post
Could the noodles be cooked on a pan sitting ON TOP of the DO,
using the top coals as heat?

(I might have to get me one of these things, could be fun!)
That's actually a really good idea! Why didnít I think of that?!?!? The only problem I see with doing that is the handle that is in the middle of the lid. Iíve got this DO (but I got it at Dick's Sporting Goods for only 24.99!). It has legs on the lid that allow it to be used as a skillet (turn the lid over and place coals under it and then cook on the under-side). If you have a DO with the legs on the top like this, it would be a simple matter to find a pot big enough to rest on those legs and utilize the heat from top coals.

But heck, now that I think about it, you could start another batch of coals to use with a small pot for boiling the noodles. Using an old tuna fish can, you could place the pot on the can so that it is raised high enough to place coals under it and then boil your noodles that way. Any inexpensive camping type pot would work for this. Great idea!

And yeah, you need to get one because it IS fun!!
__________________
keltin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 10:54 AM   #4
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4,630
Kelt,

Toasted, ground Caraway seeds add a great flavor, too.
__________________
Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 11:00 AM   #5
Head Chef
 
keltin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Down South in Alabama
Posts: 2,285
Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
Kelt,

Toasted, ground Caraway seeds add a great flavor, too.
I read a few recipes that use caraway seed. Iíve never tasted it (that I know of) and didnít know what it would be like, so I didnít buy any. Whatís it like (as if itís easy to describe what something tastes like!!)? Itís not like fennel seed is it? I donít like fennel. I also donít like saffron. As long as it isnít like those two, I might have to add it next time.
__________________
keltin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 11:14 AM   #6
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4,630
It's hard to explain, but the aroma is great....espescially when it's toasting. I use it all the time in my Goulash. The seeds will burn in an instant, so be careful.
__________________
Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 10:36 PM   #7
Senior Cook
 
Golfgar4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Janesville, Wisconsin
Posts: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by keltin View Post
That's actually a really good idea! Why didnít I think of that?!?!? The only problem I see with doing that is the handle that is in the middle of the lid. Iíve got this DO (but I got it at Dick's Sporting Goods for only 24.99!). It has legs on the lid that allow it to be used as a skillet (turn the lid over and place coals under it and then cook on the under-side). If you have a DO with the legs on the top like this, it would be a simple matter to find a pot big enough to rest on those legs and utilize the heat from top coals.

But heck, now that I think about it, you could start another batch of coals to use with a small pot for boiling the noodles. Using an old tuna fish can, you could place the pot on the can so that it is raised high enough to place coals under it and then boil your noodles that way. Any inexpensive camping type pot would work for this. Great idea!

And yeah, you need to get one because it IS fun!!
Stacking dutch ovens is a very common practice. As you pointed out, the DO's need legs on them, but I've seen as many as 5 DO's stacked for cooking a whole meal.

Oh, you're recipe sounds great! I'll make a copy of it and give it a try.

Thanks!
__________________

__________________
Garry
Golfgar4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.