Dutch Oven Beef Goulash

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keltin

Washing Up
I read through many different versions of Goulash, and finally put together this version to be made outdoors in a 10” Dutch Oven. It turned out really well and is rather fun to cook.

Dutch Oven Goulash

1-2 Pounds beef, cubed
1 medium onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups sliced mushroom
1 can petite diced tomatoes (undrained)
1 cup beef broth
1 bay leaf
2 tbsp Hungarian paprika
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tbsp oil
3/4 cup sour cream
Salt to taste

Number of Coals: 20 (8 bottom, 12 top)
Dutch Oven: 10”

Prep everything ahead of time and place in bowls/containers that you can have with you at the Dutch Oven. Place 8 coals under the DO, and 12 on top. Let the DO heat for 3-5 minutes. Remove lid to safe place and add the oil. Next, add onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Sautee until DO cools down, about 3 minutes.

Add meat, mushrooms, paprika, pepper, and bayleaf. Stir well to incorporate.

Add tomatoes and beef broth and stir well. Cover with lid and let cook for 1.5 to 2 hours or until meat is tender.

Once meat is tender, add sour cream and stir well to incorporate. Heat 10 minutes more to bring Goulash back to temp and then serve in bowls over egg noodles.

You can serve it as is, but it is better with the egg noodles. If using egg noodles, obviously you’ll need a way to cook the noodles separately. Either cook them in another DO, or on the stove, or if working with only one DO, cook them ahead of time and set aside in air tight container.

Could the noodles be cooked on a pan sitting ON TOP of the DO,
using the top coals as heat?

(I might have to get me one of these things, could be fun!)

Could the noodles be cooked on a pan sitting ON TOP of the DO,
using the top coals as heat?

(I might have to get me one of these things, could be fun!)

That's actually a really good idea! Why didn’t I think of that?!?!? The only problem I see with doing that is the handle that is in the middle of the lid. I’ve got this DO (but I got it at Dick's Sporting Goods for only 24.99!). It has legs on the lid that allow it to be used as a skillet (turn the lid over and place coals under it and then cook on the under-side). If you have a DO with the legs on the top like this, it would be a simple matter to find a pot big enough to rest on those legs and utilize the heat from top coals.

But heck, now that I think about it, you could start another batch of coals to use with a small pot for boiling the noodles. Using an old tuna fish can, you could place the pot on the can so that it is raised high enough to place coals under it and then boil your noodles that way. Any inexpensive camping type pot would work for this. Great idea!

And yeah, you need to get one because it IS fun!! ;)

Kelt,

Toasted, ground Caraway seeds add a great flavor, too.

I read a few recipes that use caraway seed. I’ve never tasted it (that I know of) and didn’t know what it would be like, so I didn’t buy any. What’s it like (as if it’s easy to describe what something tastes like!!:D)? It’s not like fennel seed is it? I don’t like fennel. I also don’t like saffron. As long as it isn’t like those two, I might have to add it next time.

It's hard to explain, but the aroma is great....espescially when it's toasting. I use it all the time in my Goulash. The seeds will burn in an instant, so be careful.

That's actually a really good idea! Why didn’t I think of that?!?!? The only problem I see with doing that is the handle that is in the middle of the lid. I’ve got this DO (but I got it at Dick's Sporting Goods for only 24.99!). It has legs on the lid that allow it to be used as a skillet (turn the lid over and place coals under it and then cook on the under-side). If you have a DO with the legs on the top like this, it would be a simple matter to find a pot big enough to rest on those legs and utilize the heat from top coals.

But heck, now that I think about it, you could start another batch of coals to use with a small pot for boiling the noodles. Using an old tuna fish can, you could place the pot on the can so that it is raised high enough to place coals under it and then boil your noodles that way. Any inexpensive camping type pot would work for this. Great idea!

And yeah, you need to get one because it IS fun!! ;)

Stacking dutch ovens is a very common practice. As you pointed out, the DO's need legs on them, but I've seen as many as 5 DO's stacked for cooking a whole meal.

Oh, you're recipe sounds great! I'll make a copy of it and give it a try.

Thanks! :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom