"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Campfire & Dutch Oven Cooking

Old 07-29-2006, 02:15 AM   #11
Master Chef

Terms have gotten blurred by cookware manufactures calling different things by different names ...

A true Dutch Oven is made of cast iron, has three short legs, and a relatively flat lid with a lip around it to keep the coals from sliding off. Designed to be used on a wood fire ... usually placed directly on the coals with more coals placed on top so that it was heated from above and below ... like an oven. The term "Dutch" probably comes from the Dutch process of sand casting (how they were made), and oven from the way it was heated.

A Camp Oven is also cast iron, without legs, and a domed lid that has a bunch of little spikes on the underside of the lid ... a form of "self basting".

Cast iron pots that are coated with enamel are "French Ovens".

Pots like Sharon depicted are actually a deep casserole.

I can only assume that cookware manufacturers call pots "Dutch Ovens" (which are not) is because they have similar physical dimensions (wider than they are tall) and hoping to capture on "name recognition" from a 50's generation that grew up hearing the term used by their mothers and grandmas.

Old 08-01-2006, 09:48 PM   #12
Senior Cook

I thought the three leg thing for the fire was called a Spider long ago.

Old 08-07-2006, 04:44 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

Send a message via MSN to hxy1998 Send a message via Yahoo to hxy1998 Send a message via Skype™ to hxy1998
very nice! I am very hunger
http://shop33442286.taobao.com/
Old 12-26-2006, 02:46 PM   #14
Sous Chef

From Michael's description I realise that I have a Camp Oven which I have been calling a Dutch Oven. It was my Great Grandmothers and is more non-stick than most of my non-stick coated cookware.
Old 12-26-2006, 04:33 PM   #15
Cook

If your cast iron oven is legless and has a domed lid, then you are correct in referring to it as a Dutch Oven. It is the Camp Dutch Oven that has three short legs and a flanged lid.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:35 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

My defintion is...

If it is cast iron...has cast iron lid...and bail....It is a dutch oven!

If it has 3 legs then it is a camp oven....Really has no use in the kitchen.

If it has no legs it is a kitchen oven...Can be used in the kitchen and hung over camp fires.

Thats how I differentiate between the two....

Then there are aluminum camp ovens out there...but I am a iron man myself
Old 12-26-2006, 10:36 PM   #17
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob
If it has 3 legs then it is a camp oven....Really has no use in the kitchen.
I have to respectfully disagree. I've used my camp ovens in my kitchen oven a number of times. All you need to do is place it so that its legs stick through the rack. Cooks as beautifully indoors and it does outdoors.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:51 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Yo Dutchess...

Yep I have used camp ovens in the kitchen also...I suppose I should have said that is not their primary purpose...That's why I have several of the flat bottom kitchen ovens as well...And I use those over camp fires as well.....
So you see we are in agreement...
Old 01-18-2007, 03:09 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

Ddutch ovens

Dutch oven was the term my grandmother used--pre WW11-I She also called it a "kittle." Not unique. I have her big one. It is like a very heavy, hammerd metal, with domed lid and bail. works a treat for stews, soups. Not pretty, but so often pretty is a misleading attribute.
A spider is a fry pan. I have always known them to be cast iron fry pans, but in some areas of the U.S, spider is used for all fry pans.
My cast iorn fry are totally stick free. 'Course at end of use I fill with water, boil hard for a moment or two, then rinse and wipe with paper towels. Back on the still warm burner to dry with no rust. LOve those babies! It is NOT my imagination--any potato dish is so much better in cast iron. Hash browns, fried, potato pancakes, the list goes on. Well, now I have worked myself into a potato pancake must have it mood. Oh, all the grating! As grandma said, "the little drop of knuckle blood makes it special." With blender, processer (or? er?), they do not have the best flavor. Must be that knuckle blood.
graysmoke
Old 04-18-2007, 01:21 AM   #20
Assistant Cook

I agree, I have used both the legged and legless versions in the stove and on the fire.

outdoorcook is offline   Reply With Quote