"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Campfire & Dutch Oven Cooking

Old 10-01-2007, 09:03 PM   #11
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol-blue View Post
The foil does not change the flavor at all. I have had desserts made in DO from friends that I wished used the foil because the dessert picked up the flavor of the last meal they ate. I use foil because it is so easy to clean up when out camping and when water needs to be conserved.
Excellent! Thanks for that! I'll try foil the next time I know I'm gonna' make a mess! The easier the better is my motto!

Since my wife is thrilled with DO cooking lately (no kitchen mess, and I clean the cooking dishes [wash the DO]), she is all for more DO cooking. In fact, she has remarked a few times that I need to buy another one, a 12" and cook even MORE outdoors!

Old 10-01-2007, 09:30 PM   #12
Sous Chef

I bet she is thrilled. You should get another DO. I have two 12'' and a couple smaller ones. I keep one 12'' just for dinners and the other 12'' for desserts. Having two you can stack them and have dinner cooking along with dessert.

Old 10-02-2007, 12:54 AM   #13
Cook

Using foil is really a matter of personal preference. I know some people who feel strongly that you should never ever use foil, but my feeling is if using foil gets you to using your ovens more often, then go for it. Personally about the only time I use it is if we're doing a demo and I make something first thing in the morning like sticky buns; using foil allows me to reuse the pot for something else without having to clean it in between. Otherwise I prefer to cook directly in the black pot, even for desserts. But ya know, even the "pros" sometimes use foil. We were just in Louisiana this past weekend at the National Dutch Oven Gathering, and I watched Johnny Nix (former host of Campfire Cafe) line an oven with foil when he was baking blondies. His reason for doing so was so that he could lift them out of the oven and cut them into nice pieces for serving.

Ol'Blue, you mentioned having an oven just for desserts. I don't know if you do much bread baking in your DOs, but Cee Dub (who was also at the Nat'l DOG) recommends keeping a separate oven strictly for breads.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:30 AM   #14
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchess View Post
Using foil is really a matter of personal preference. I know some people who feel strongly that you should never ever use foil, but my feeling is if using foil gets you to using your ovens more often, then go for it. Personally about the only time I use it is if we're doing a demo and I make something first thing in the morning like sticky buns; using foil allows me to reuse the pot for something else without having to clean it in between. Otherwise I prefer to cook directly in the black pot, even for desserts. But ya know, even the "pros" sometimes use foil. We were just in Louisiana this past weekend at the National Dutch Oven Gathering, and I watched Johnny Nix (former host of Campfire Cafe) line an oven with foil when he was baking blondies. His reason for doing so was so that he could lift them out of the oven and cut them into nice pieces for serving.

Ol'Blue, you mentioned having an oven just for desserts. I don't know if you do much bread baking in your DOs, but Cee Dub (who was also at the Nat'l DOG) recommends keeping a separate oven strictly for breads.
I agree that it is a matter of preference. The only time I use foil in my DO is out camping with some of the desserts. Mainly for ease of lifting the dessert out of the pan.

I have made bread in my DO and I have heard that about having one for just bread. I'll pass on that, my bread turns out just fine.