"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Campfire & Dutch Oven Cooking
Old 04-26-2006, 01:42 PM   #1
Dutch oven preparation

Does anyone know the best way to prep a new dutch oven? I preped one by rubbing oil around it and putting it in the oven, but some spots where the oil was thick it started peeling. Is there any way to fix this?

Whole Wheat Cookbook Blog
Ripliancum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 01:47 PM   #2
Chief Eating Officer
Here ya go.

You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 03:06 PM   #3
Senior Cook
If it is cast Iron the best way is to do as you did with not so much oil that it puddles, at 350 degrees in th eoven then when you take it out wipe it again with an oily paper towel just to coat and let it cool. Then every time you use it DO NOT USE AQNY SOAP ON THE CAST IRON. scrub it with salt and then oil it when it is clean. you should have a well seasoned cast iron dutch oven after only a couple of dozen uses. Treat it the same as you would your cast iron skillet.

Diane1415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 07:27 AM   #4
You need to use it over and over and over. Follow Diane's instructions with cleaning and keep it oiled. One thing I never allow to be cooked in my oven is anything with sugar, it ruins the seasoning. When I store my oven I place a piece of burlap between the lid and the pot to soak up any moisture and prevent rust. I have also built a special box to pack the oven in so it is safe when we travel.
Chaplain Kent
Chaplain Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 04:39 PM   #5
Assistant Cook
I've found that using a light coating of canola oil at 450 degrees works very well. I'm not sure 350 degrees is hot enough to crystallize the components of the oil( this is what you're trying to do). I get my oven hot in the house oven dry at first, take it and the lid out and wipe canola around all surfaces with a paper towel, then put it back in the oven for maybe 30 minutes. It it's a brand new oven I'll do the same thing over again. Then it's ready for use. Just remember not to use metal spoons or other in it or you'll scratch the coating. Also, if the coating peeled off then the cast iron still had the wax coating on it from the factory. Was the dickins out of it with really hot water and a scrub brush like Chore Boy, rinse and dry in the hot oven, the start with the oil again.
Dutch oven and camp cook practitioner
kmvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 01:11 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
Wash a new oven (any cast iron) in warm soapy water. Dry well.
Coat it with Crisco inside and out...lightly.
Turn it upside down in the oven...put a cookie sheet etc. under it(lower rack) to catch any drips.
"cook" for 1 to 1 1/2 hours at 350....turn off the oven...go to bed...next morning your oven is seasoned.
Avoid braising in the oven the first several times you use it...Use it for frying...fish, chicken etc. Wash with hot water. No harsh soaps.

My 2 cents.......
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 08:51 PM   #7
Assistant Cook
After doing the initial seasoning, as described above, I have always found that using the oven over and over helps with the seasoning. Frying foods, or cooking food with lots of grease (like bacon) helps a lot. Pretty soon, you'll get that black non-stick finish.
outdoorcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 10:48 PM   #8
Executive Chef
bsolutely...wash the dicken out of it if it peeled, then reseason as you did, then cook bacon, pork chops, lamb chpos anything with natural fat...slices of prime rib, to get the oven in shape, then treat as you would a fine black iron skillet. I was cooking bacon in a 9 qt dutchoven for several weeks...ridiculous sight yes, but what a seasoning it gave that beauty! THat's my chili pot!
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 11:48 PM   #9
Master Chef
I agree with Robo410. I cooked a lot of sausage, bacon, and hamburgers, etc. on my castiron griddle to get it seasoned before I even thought of cooking pancakes on it.
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 03:33 PM   #10
Assistant Cook
seasoning without smoking up the house

hey everyone i stumbled upon this method after smoking up the house and having the wife wanna kill me

i to found that canola oil works best i oil up the whole dutch oven and lid light the gas grill set it to high and place dutch oven and lid side by side for 2 hours at the halfway point i flip the lid and oven works great and no smoke in the house

keep your coals hot with good food in the pot
fetz is offline   Reply With Quote