Enchiladas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chile Chef

Sous Chef
My first Dutch Oven Dish is the Enchilada meat which I will put together tomorrow after class.

I've noticed that the dutch oven cooked faster then my ci pan, Why would that be?

Here's some photo's of the Enchilada's and I will post the rest of them tomorrow.

565990384_cGbjz-XL.jpg

565990439_QdsDB-XL.jpg

Derek, one of the secrets I discovered about enchiladas after I moved to Mexico is DON'T bake them for too long. In fact, the Mexicans don't bake them at all - they just fill them and serve them. This keeps the tortillas from disintegrating. Also, if you want to be authentic, it is unlikely that you will find any gooey cheese in an enchilada here, especially not cheddar, which does not exist in Mexican cooking. Maybe a little cotija, crumbled over the top (feta would be a substitute), or if it is enchiladas suiza, some swiss or manchego cheese, and they would be made with chicken and a green chile sauce. Of course, everyone should make exactly what tastes good to THEM, so don't feel compelled to stay authentic! Just thought you might be interested.

Karen, thanks for the tip about not overcooking the tortillas. I hate it when they turn back into masa!

What about cheese enchiladas? Do you find them in your area of Mexico? They're certainly popular in U.S. Mexican restaurants.

It seems to me that cooking varies quite a bit from region to region of Mexico, just as it does in the the U.S.

Derek, one of the secrets I discovered about enchiladas after I moved to Mexico is DON'T bake them for too long. In fact, the Mexicans don't bake them at all - they just fill them and serve them. This keeps the tortillas from disintegrating. Also, if you want to be authentic, it is unlikely that you will find any gooey cheese in an enchilada here, especially not cheddar, which does not exist in Mexican cooking. Maybe a little cotija, crumbled over the top (feta would be a substitute), or if it is enchiladas suiza, some swiss or manchego cheese, and they would be made with chicken and a green chile sauce. Of course, everyone should make exactly what tastes good to THEM, so don't feel compelled to stay authentic! Just thought you might be interested.
Actually Karen, I have Cotija I purchased at the Mexican store, It costyed me $8.99 for like a pound of it, boy is it ever good though. I've also learned a long time ago that they turn back in to masa thank's to Alton Brown and I add other cheese because my faimly loves cheese. Thank you again for the tips Karen.

Karen, thanks for the tip about not overcooking the tortillas. I hate it when they turn back into masa!

What about cheese enchiladas? Do you find them in your area of Mexico? They're certainly popular in U.S. Mexican restaurants.

It seems to me that cooking varies quite a bit from region to region of Mexico, just as it does in the the U.S.
I agree with you Scotch, It does very from region to region!

If you use flour tortillas cover with sauce they turn into noodles.

Yes, they do have cheese enchiladas (but you have to ask for them), and they would be filled with a good melting cheese, like manchego or oaxacan, or something that is very commonly available and called asaderos.

No orange cheese, no lettuce, no crispy taco shells. A taco in Mexico is simply anything you wish to put on a tortilla....and they are usually served like this:

bceaca8096c4139c_m.jpg

Commonly served that way in L.A., too. Here we call those "soft tacos" to distinguish them from the fried, hard-shelled kind. Both are legitimate Mexican cuisine, just from different regions. They come with carne asada, shredded beef, carnitas, chicken, deep-fried fish, shrimp, and other fillings. Instead of salsa, or in addition to it, soft tacos are usually served with pico de gallo (beak of the rooster), finely chopped onion, tomato, chilies, cilantro, and lime or lemon juice. Ground beef, however, is pretty gringo. The precooked "taco shells" are an abomination (a form of cardboard?) that no self-respecting cook would ever consider using.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom