Getting started with DO cooking - some Q's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jcv

Assistant Cook
Hello everyone!

I have been wanting to get into dutch oven cooking for a long time and I'm finally going to do it. I camp most every weekend in the summer and by then I hope to have a camp DO and table. For now I was thinking of starting with a home DO and using it in my oven, Big Green Egg or on my stove.

I cook for a family of 4. Would the 10" be a good size? I visited the Lodge site and their dutch ovens seem to be 'pre-seasoned' - will I still have to season it? I am dying to make things like a pot roast or a prime rib. Are there other recipes I should start with until the DO gets more seasoned... I know that cast iron cookware gets better the more you use it. I would really like to get my DO and cook a pot roast right away.

Any advice for a newbie is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi and welcome aboard! I'm afraid I'm not the best source for info on DO cooking but there are lots of folks here who will step up to help you out. My only piece of advice is that if you choose a cast iron DO you must be patient and season it correctly before you make that yummy pot roast. Do a quick search on seasoning cast iron or CI seasoning. There are lots and lots of threads about it. It doesn't take very long really, but its important to do it correctly so you don't have issues later.

I am not an expert either, but I will put in my $.02. I am not familiar with 10" as a size when it comes to DO's. I am more familiar with how many quarts it holds. For a family of 4 I would go with a 7ish quart size.

Seasoning is a process. A pan is not seasoned the first time you use it. It happens over time. The Lodge pre-seasoned pans have had the first round of seasoning done for you so after you give it a quick wash it is ready to use. Usually the first few times you cook with new CI you want to cook something with a lot of fat. This will help reinforce the seasoning and build it up. Cooking bacon is always a favorite.

jcv,
welcome to DC. you will find alot of info here to improve your cooking skills as well as recipes. For more info about cast iron you might want to try looking here www.camp-cook.com . It's free to register with them. Come back to this site to share your experiences.

Welcome to DC jcv....For "in the house" or big green egg I would recommend the Lodge 5 quart (10-1/4 in) "Kitchen" oven (No legs)...Number L8DOL3...It has loop handles that will make it easier to go in and out of the oven...Weighs about 14 pounds. There is a 7 quart, and 9 quart model, but they weigh considerably more, and have bail handles instead of loop handles....

For camping I would recommend the 12 in. 8 quart "Camp" oven...It has three legs on the bottom so it will sit over the coals...also a flanged lid to hold hot coals for baking etc. It also has a wire bail handle for hanging over the fire...There is also a 12 in. 6 quart "camp" oven that makes a great baking oven, but can sometimes be a little too shallow (3 3/4") for other uses...The 8 quart is the best all around, all purpose "Camp" oven IMO. The 10 in. 4 quart gets small real quick on/over a camp fire.

Lodge Pro Logic cookware is "Pre-Seasoned"...but you will need to season it a couple of times before use...HTH

Have Fun!!!

PS....Repeated braising (cooking with liquids) pot roast etc will degrade the inside seasoning over time...Any type of acids (tomatoes) are especially hard on the seasoning....Remember cast iron loves oil/fats...Plan your menus around braising sometimes and frying fish, chicken, bacon etc. at other times. Baking is good for seasoning as well...just lightly coat the inside with oil prior to baking your biscuits, cornbread, cake etc.

Thank you all for the replies.

Since posting here I did get a dutch oven. I planned to get the Lodge 5 quart kitchen oven but my brother works for a Big Green Egg dealer and he got me the BGE dutch oven for 30 bucks! I couldn't pass that up. It has a flat bottom but a lid that will hold coals... strange.

I did cook a chuck roast in it and it came out great. Next I'm making corn bread and I have a pork roast to cook in there as well.

Enjoy and don't be afraid to experiment. The occasional frying of something or other will help the seasoning. I like to do ribs in mine (I have two) slowly with a few coals. Also I have a breakfast thing I do. It's not unique but it is good.

1 bag frozen hash browns
1 large onion
1 large bell pepper
1 jalapeno peppper optional
1 lb loose sausage (fresh Polish kielbassa or spicy Italian sausage or Portugese andouille may be substituted or mixed with fresh sausage)
1 dozen eggs
1 bag shredded cheddar cheese
Salt
Pepper
Hot Sauce

Begin by browning the sausage in the DO. Remove from pan and set aside
Finely chop the onions and peppers and fry them in DO until limp. Remove and set aside.
Put the sausage back in the DO then layer onions and peppers and potatoes. Beat the eggs well and pour over top.
Close the DO and place 6 to 10 coals on top. 6 to 10 below. (Weather dependent)
Enjoy a bloddy mary or two while waiting for the eggs to solidify
Add the cheese, reclose and let go for ten minutes.
When the cheese is melted serve.

You can also add bacon, spinach, ham, and toasted bread cubes for variation.
Enjoy!

A 10 inch will do fine, but suggest you go for a larger one as I think that the results will deem larger quanities of food being place on the plate. I have done cakes, cookies, breads, meats of many types, ect. I think you will enjoy this type of cooking very well.

Back
Top Bottom