"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Campfire & Dutch Oven Cooking

Old 12-06-2006, 10:19 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Question Help with cooking with Le Creuset

Hi!
I just bought my 1st dutch oven. I want to roast a turkey in it this weekend but I don't have a clue as to how. If any one can give me some advise, I'd really appriciate it.

Thanks.

Old 12-06-2006, 11:08 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Hi, Karen. Welcome to DC.

A dutch oven isn't usually used for roasting. It's usually used to do braises, which result in pot roast or stews.

If you want to roast a turkey so it looks like it came out of a Norman Rockwell painting, you should use a roasting pan with relatively low sides rather than a pot with a tight-fitting lid.

Old 12-06-2006, 11:33 PM   #3
Master Chef

I can't think of any French Oven that Le Cruset makes that would be large enough to roast a turkey. They do, however, make open roasting pans.

Like Andy M. said - a covered pot is going to give you baked or braised (pale soft skin) not dark crispy skin like a roasted bird.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:48 AM   #4
Master Chef

I have one (her name is Big Mama) that could fit a smallish spatchcocked turkey!!

But I agree that you should not roast a turkey in one. LC french ovens are not good roasting vessles.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:39 AM   #5
Executive Chef

you could do small birds (game hens) nicely on aromatic veggies, brown them first, then add some wine and close cover and into the oven at a hot temp. But a turkey is large and needs longer lower temp. A turkey breast on the bone would work well. hot pan, oil, brown the bird, brown the veggies a bit, drain off excess fat, add some wine , cover and roast. (350*) take cover off last 1/2 hour. It could work.

arromatic veggies: onion, celerey, garlic, carrot, parsnip...very tasty after roasting with meats.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:19 PM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410
you could do small birds (game hens) nicely on aromatic veggies, brown them first, then add some wine and close cover and into the oven at a hot temp. .
True, but what you are describing is not "roasting."

Roasting involves dry heat and an open pan.

"roast v. To oven-cook food in an uncovered pan, a method that usually produces a well-browned exterior and ideally a moist interior. Roasting requires reasonably tender pieces of meat or poultry. Tougher pieces of meat need moist cooking methods such as braising. "
Old 12-07-2006, 01:46 PM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenofann
Hi!
I just bought my 1st dutch oven. I want to roast a turkey in it this weekend but I don't have a clue as to how. If any one can give me some advise, I'd really appriciate it.

Thanks.
Describe you dutch oven. If you are putting something in the oven, it's probably not a dutch oven. A dutch oven is a large pot with lid that is used over a stovetop range burner. Those large black/blue with white speckle dots would seem to be called a dutch oven but they are roasting pans.

If I am wrong, I am sure I will be corrected.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:38 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirBlue
Describe you dutch oven. If you are putting something in the oven, it's probably not a dutch oven. A dutch oven is a large pot with lid that is used over a stovetop range burner. Those large black/blue with white speckle dots would seem to be called a dutch oven but they are roasting pans.

If I am wrong, I am sure I will be corrected.

karenofann said she had a Le Creuset dutch oven which is a large, heavy ceramic-coated cast iron pot with a heavy lid. Like pretty much all dutch ovens, they are at home on both stove top and in oven and are one of the best and most useful pieces of cookware anyone could have.

Still, they aren't meant for roasting.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:03 PM   #9
Head Chef

Hello Karen and welcome to DC.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 03:12 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Karen, the LC oven has high sides also so is not optimal for roasting and the browning that you like in cooking a chicken/turkey. And you don't want to cover a roasted turkey, in my opinion. NO browning.
Use your LC for braises, stews, pot roasts. They are particularly good for searing the meat first for that deep brown flavor.
For your turkey, use a shallow roasting pan.