Hobo dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hello NAchef:)

What about Bulgar wheat? U can use it, wherever u would use rice.
But, it is not as inconvenient to cook as rice, while camping. U only have to add boiling water, and then it is ready to eat, after around 20 mins.

Mel

and it is also good with salad.
and it is dry, like rice, before preparation, so it wont go bad, when stored not in a fridge.

Mel

I never heard of Hobo anything and a relative brought me some hobo beans recently. They were so delicious. Like baked beans with ground beef and brown sugar, I think. Anyone have a TNT recipe for Hobo Beans?

i made a really good hobo stew when i was on vacation one night. sadly, i took an ambien, and don't completely remember what i put in the pot. but it was good.

from what i remember, i had some 85% angus burgers that had to be cooked or tossed by the next day, so in the middle of the night browned some diced onion, diced green peppers, and sliced garlic in a deep saute in evoo, set aside, and then made small meatballs out of the burgers and browned them. i deglazed the pan with some iced tea, then added the peppers/onion/garlic back to the mix, along with some dried herbs de provence, worcestershire sauce, a can of baby peas, along with a a large can of baked beans.

it was sort of a vegetabley baked beans with meatballs.

i would like to make it again, this time as a version of cottage pie, topped with mashed potatoes and baked.
:chef:

it was sort of a vegetabley baked beans with meatballs.

i would like to make it again, this time as a version of cottage pie, topped with mashed potatoes and baked.

Iced tea sounds like a neat twist. I love the meatballs idea. I think I will try the Hobo Beans recipe from my aunt, but instead of just mixing in ground beef I'll do meatballs a la BuckyTom. Thanks for the ideas!

cool jill. let me know how it comes out.
i left the meat alone, and just made small balls directly out of the machine formed patties. this made the meatballs more firm and a little more tough, but i kinda liked that about it in the dish. the pure beef flavor comes through the beans and veggies better.

We have been making our version of Hobo Stew for a couple summers now. We have found the best technique is to put a large square of foil on a paper plate holder. Stack them to make the foil form into the plate holder. Spray the foil with cooking spray.
It has worked best for us to have a potato type item on the bottom. We have used shredded hashbrowns from the refridgerated section or canned sliced or diced potatoes.
Then we have an assortment of meat and veggies, plus spices.
I usually cut the steak into small strips. The younger kids like ground beef. If using chicken, I get the already cooked packaged chicken (Tyson) because then I know it will be cooked and it stores in the camper well until ready to use.
Veggies can be the mixed frozen variety, canned mushrooms, or for an asian flair - water chestnuts, baby corns, and oriental veggie mix.
Some sort of liquid is needed. We have tried steak sauce, a small pat of butter, beef broth, or soy sauce. Then season to taste with cajun seasoning, garlic pepper, lemon pepper, montreal steak seasoning, etc.
Finally we wrap up the packets. Using a popsicle stick or flat food pick, write your initials on the stick and wrap it into a second layer of foil so it sticks out to id your packet. This allows for the different level of doneness.
We have a tripod that goes over the campfire coals. We can usually get 6 packets on the swing and can raise and lower the rack depending on the heat of the coals and the weather. 45 minutes is usually a good time.
Nothing tastes better.

Last edited:
let the hobo make his own dinner. lol
:LOL::LOL::LOL:
This reminds me of the saying that cannibles say "Clowns taste funny".

We mostly made our hobo dinners, double wrapped foil, hamburger, carrots, onions, potatoes, S&P, cooked right over the coals of the fire. My three sons and I made 20+ dinners one night, assembly line fashioned, and it turned out wonderful. Followed by homemade icecream. Dinner around a fire is always fun.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom