"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Campfire & Dutch Oven Cooking

Old 08-24-2006, 12:55 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnabchef
Gretchen...
Can you post this recipe? Sounds wonderful, especially after picking fresh berries.

Thanking you in advance!
J
Just use Bisquick recipe.

Old 08-24-2006, 12:57 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephora
So boiling a pot of potatoes in one isn't good? I was out of the right size pot and since my dad gave me this item with the words "dutch oven" across the top that was the right size, I used it. Was this wrong? I didn't realize it was supposed to be burried in hot coals or used in the oven.
You can use it for whatever you want--no problem. Cast iron isn't very good to cook tomato dishes in. It doesn't have to be used for camping (unless it is the kind with the "feet".). It's just a cast iron pot.

Old 08-24-2006, 01:01 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by thymeless
There are some custom tools that do the job better and safer. The best is a Mair Lid Lifter

[img}http://www.chuckwagonsupply.com/mair%201.JPG[/img]

There are three legs and a single or doubel prong in teh center. You put the prong through the lid hole. Squeeze the handles and you have the lid tightly held. You can pour coals/ashes right off a hot lid without fear of dropping or tipping it against your hand. One leg has a hook for lifting the bail. Really great tool.

There are other hook type lifters out there that work well too, but they're not as versatile as the Mair.

thymeless

Your link doesn't work so I'm sort of guessing you have a tripod sort of setup. Anyway, I also have a pair of pliers that are a bit offset like the channel lock and that have a little hook to catch the bail. In about 20 years of camping don't believe I ever emptied any coals on myself--and had a lot less to pack around with us.

http://www.cabelas.com/spodw-1/0009974.shtml

I looked up the lid lifter and it is indeed a neat little tool. Have never seen one in any camping catalog I have read (and I read and ordered from Cabela's a LOT) but we stopped camping pretty muchwhen the kids left. I think this might be relatively new.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:52 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen
You can use it for whatever you want--no problem. Cast iron isn't very good to cook tomato dishes in. It doesn't have to be used for camping (unless it is the kind with the "feet".). It's just a cast iron pot.
Thanks. I was afraid I had ruined a 50 year old pot.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:57 AM   #15
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by thymeless
There are some custom tools that do the job better and safer. The best is a Mair Lid Lifter
I have to agree with thymeless. The Mair lid lifter is definitely the cadillac of lid lifters!