"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Campfire & Dutch Oven Cooking

Old 03-05-2006, 04:31 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

How to use Dutch oven

Hi guys, I have a dutch oven that for the most part has been sitting outside with a layer of rust cos I didnt know how to use it .I have since cleaned it and seasoned it but still not too sure whether to use it in my oven or do you just use it with coals.I am not too sure about using the latter cos I know my 2 cats and dog would be sitting around salivating over it.

Old 03-05-2006, 08:56 AM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

Sounds like you have a cast iron Dutch oven. Once seasoned it will work great in either of the ways you mentioned.

Old 03-05-2006, 10:31 AM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

If it has feet and a flat lid with a raised border, it was made to be used in a wood fire. You sit the pot on top of burning coals and shovel more coals onto the lid, providing 'all-around' heat for cooking.

If it has a flat bottom, it's meant for stove top or oven use. The footed model will work in the oven as well.

Either would be great for making a batch of chili or a beef stew.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:10 AM   #4
Assistant Cook

What Andy said. A great campfire "trick" is blueberry cobbler when you have picked the wild blueberries to make it.
The lid of the oven can be turned over, put over the fire and used as a griddle for bacon, etc.
We found a very useful tool for handling the hot oven or lid was a pair of channel lock pliers.
Old 03-05-2006, 06:20 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Thanx guys . Mine is cast iron with a flat bottom and a domed lid .I will try a stew in it and see how it goes.......will let you know.
Old 03-06-2006, 01:18 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

mmmmmmmmmmm ...yummm.Tried some chuck steak,onion,stock cube, carrot,tomato and worcestishire sauce...turned out great.I will have to get some other ideas on what to cook in it now. Thanks once again.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:20 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Blueberry Cobbler

Gretchen...
Can you post this recipe? Sounds wonderful, especially after picking fresh berries.

Thanking you in advance!
J
Old 05-13-2006, 02:33 AM   #8
Senior Cook

I am sure someone will have posted this info before, but just in case...

There is a good web page all about Dutch Ovens to be found at http://papadutch.home.comcast.net/
Old 08-24-2006, 12:23 PM   #9
Senior Cook

So boiling a pot of potatoes in one isn't good? I was out of the right size pot and since my dad gave me this item with the words "dutch oven" across the top that was the right size, I used it. Was this wrong? I didn't realize it was supposed to be burried in hot coals or used in the oven.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:37 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen
We found a very useful tool for handling the hot oven or lid was a pair of channel lock pliers.
There are some custom tools that do the job better and safer. The best is a Mair Lid Lifter

[img}http://www.chuckwagonsupply.com/mair%201.JPG[/img]

There are three legs and a single or doubel prong in teh center. You put the prong through the lid hole. Squeeze the handles and you have the lid tightly held. You can pour coals/ashes right off a hot lid without fear of dropping or tipping it against your hand. One leg has a hook for lifting the bail. Really great tool.

There are other hook type lifters out there that work well too, but they're not as versatile as the Mair.

thymeless