Isn't Anybody Cooking Anymore??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Golfgar4

Senior Cook
I've been traveling a lot since we left Minnesota on October 10th, so all of the DO equipment is packed up and stowed under a bunch of other stuff in the storage bays of our motorhome. We haven't had wi-fi available, so I haven't had the chance to come back to see what's going on.

WHAT'S GOING ON??? :huh:

Did all of you dutch oven cooks suddenly decide to quit cooking? Geesh, I expected to come back to DC and find some great new recipes to try out.

We're currently in Pahrump, Nevada, but we'll be leaving for Fallon, Nevada next Tuesday to visit our grandkids for Thanksgiving. We're not taking the coach, which means we're not taking the DO's. I wasn't going to do any cooking before we left, just because it takes me about an hour to unpack everything and that much time to repack everything afterwards. Don't make me cook something so I can post it here and get this forum going again! :LOL:

I do plan on doing some cooking once we get back from the Thanksgiving visit unless we get called to work some place. Then it'll have to wait until we can get settled again.

It sure would be nice to see some posts here. ;)

Well.... I recently bought a 3.5 qt Lodge DO. I love it. Just the right size for making a little chili without having a bunch left over (not that there's anything wrong with that). I plan on whipping up that cowboy breakfast you posted a while back in it. I've just been using it on the stovetop though.
Is it considered DO cooking if you do it inside? (lol)

With one exception none of my friends cook. There are a group of 20 of us and only one besides me cooks. I asked what they eat and they all said they either eat out, carry out or just grab whatever is in the house. One friend keeps almost no food in the house at all. She ate an entire half gallon of mint chocolate chip ice cream a couple of nights a go for dinner. Ohh how I envy her.

I cook everything I eat, everything that requires cooking of course. I eat a very healthy diet and cook every morning and night. Lunch is sometimes leftovers. I enjoy good food. Tonight, broiled salmon with chipotle/pomegranite glaze, 1/2 of a baked potato and steamed, buttered broccoli. Strawberries and blueberries for dessert. Frankly, the half gallon of ice cream still sounds good. :rolleyes:

Hey Garry....I've been rolling around a few ideas for the campfire pots --- Not cold enough for a hog killin, but I'm thinking a pork stew of sorts --- Maybe some hot water cornbread...I dunno..I'll just have to see what strikes my fancy at the time...
Good to see ya!

Blue Skies........

DramaQueen said:
With one exception none of my friends cook.

DQ, my friends are exactly the same. What is it with our generation of women? Did we burn our cookbooks with our bras back in the 70s? It amazes me how many people we know go out to dinner every single night, or eat frozen pizza or something they whipped up that is pretty inedible. I do think that alot of women our age decided that cooking had something to do with being oppressed as female stereotypes maybe...they have missed out on alot! Obviously, smart women COOK. Look at us!

i still love to cook. it is a challenge to do it for just myself. but don't do take out very often and pizza about once a month. i do use lots of prepared meals, for variety without all the leftovers.

I'm cookin.... I may not be rubbing sticks together out in the wilderness, but I'm cooking! I love to cook, and I love to go out for a meal. But I cook way more than we go out.

The one time I did cook 'camp style'... about caught the park onfire with my stray weenie I tried to grill. Stamping the fire out, we had one hotdog with a footprint on it, and the other with grass on it. Yep... thank the Lord I got the fire out!!!

Heading to camp this weekend for a few days of outdoor adventures. Taking the DOs with me. Saturday evening it will be chicken in some sort of glaze cooked in the campfire. Maybe Sunday we'll do the big breakfast brunch using the DO. Thanks for asking. enjoy Nevada.

Now that I'd like to see on youtube :LOL:

That was my first camping experience. It got worse, about midnight it started to rain... and rain... and rain..... and at 6 am, ended with a hail storm of golf balls and winds reacing 70 mph. Our tent was the only one standing ( we stood inside to hold it up ), all others were blown away. It was funny because people were coming up to us asking where their tent was. We would tell them "Have you tried looking over the cliff there?" We packed up after on night and decided camping just is not our thing!

Yea, the whole fire and weenie incident... we still laugh about today.

DQ, my friends are exactly the same. What is it with our generation of women? Did we burn our cookbooks with our bras back in the 70s? It amazes me how many people we know go out to dinner every single night, or eat frozen pizza or something they whipped up that is pretty inedible. I do think that alot of women our age decided that cooking had something to do with being oppressed as female stereotypes maybe...they have missed out on alot! Obviously, smart women COOK. Look at us!
Obviously we are smart enough to read, follow a recipe and save money by cooking at home. Lately, my kids have been disgusted with restaurant food (which happens once weekly) and they ask for home cooked meals...much safer, cleaner and cheaper.

Did all of you dutch oven cooks suddenly decide to quit cooking? Geesh, I expected to come back to DC and find some great new recipes to try out.

Hey Gary, we're still Dutch oven cooking on a regular basis here at home, at monthly DOGs (Dutch oven gatherings), and doing demos. This past Saturday we did a cooking demo at our Boy Scout council's camporee, which had about 6500 attendees. It was a bit of a challenge with 25-30 mph winds that day, but we had a lot of interest. It's always fun getting people enthusiastic about this way of cooking.

To tell you the truth, I don't stop by DC that often. The few times I've posted on this forum, I haven't received much response, so I figured people here just aren't that interested in this form of outdoor cooking.
shrug.gif

Have a happy Thanksgiving.

To tell you the truth, I don't stop by DC that often. The few times I've posted on this forum, I haven't received much response, so I figured people here just aren't that interested in this form of outdoor cooking.
shrug.gif

Have a happy Thanksgiving.

Dutchess,

This is the only forum that I visit here at DC. I suppose if I were a bit smarter I'd check out the other forums, because there's always something that you can learn.:rolleyes:

But since I love to do DO cooking, I keep coming back here. I have a feeling that the people that do follow this forum are a rather small number in comparison to the entire DC population. I know I'd be here much more regularly if if weren't for the fact that we're traveling so much, and very often we don't have access to the internet for a number of days. And of course, I don't post if I haven't done any cooking.

I think another thing that we have to remember is that people may be checking out the posts that are made, but they just aren't responding unless there's a specific reason to respond. If they want to ask a question or make a comment about the topic of the post, then they will. But clearly, the vast majority of "views" are just that. Views with no response.

I guess I think that we need to continue to utilize this terrific resource, even if no one responds to our posts, or it might go away. That would be a sad loss.

You make a good point, Garry. I'll try to make an effort to get back here more often and contribute.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom