ISO Dutch Oven Bean recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chile Chef

Sous Chef
I'm looking for a very simple but very awesome Dutch Oven bean recipe.

I get to make beans for the 4th of July and I'm looking for an awesome recipe that not going to be a wallet buster recipe, and the one one that uses pinto beans, And uses molasses.

We make this often and love it...to 1lb. of pinto beans that you've rinsed and picked through, and soaked add 2 cups of chopped yellow onions, 3 cloves crushed garlic, and enough beef broth to cover and be about a 1/2 cup over the top of the beans..You can add more depends on how much juice you like. Add one 8oz. can of tomato sauce, and a 1/2 lb. of diced bacon, 3 tab. brown sugar and 1/4 cup of molasses,salt,pepper to taste..I also add some Tabasco just a few drops to give it some zip...My dad use to make this for us and I adore it...If you make it I hope you will enjoy it..We serve with green salad and warm french bread
kadesma

Here's a simple recipe that won't break the bank and is delicious, just like Kadesma's, just another variation.

Ingredients:
1 lb. bag dried pinto beans (or pre-cooked and bottled, saves time)
1 onion, coarsely chopped (good sized chunks)
2 tbs. dark molasses
6 oz. tomato paste
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
2 tbs. prepared yellow mustard
1 cup diced pork steak
pork bones (I always save my pork bones for just such a recipe)
salt
1 tbs. mild chili powder

Clean and rinse the beans. Place in boiling water for 20 minutes and remove from heat. Let cool. Place again in boiling water, with 2 tsp. salt, and cook until tender. Drain, and transfer to the dutch oven. Add remaining ingredients, cover, and bake at 190 F. for three hours. Serve.

Of course if you like your beans more savory, decrease the brown sugar by half. You can also omit the molasses and substitute with grade-b maple syrup.

Personally, I love the flavor of pork with baked beans. I've also used ground beef or ham instead of the fresh pork, and it's really good too. But my favorite is the pork.

My wife doesn't care for the chili powder addition, but I think it makes the beans special. It just depends on your personal taste. If you don't make this recipe this time, try it the next time you make beans. Give yourself options. That way, your food will never become boring to you.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Thanks for the recipe Goodweed - I copy/pasted your recipe for future use. I also wanted to add for Chile's benefit, rinse those bones well. The last thing you want in your beans is to come across any small chips of bone still there from the cutting.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom