ISO meat recipe to go with sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

B'sgirl

Sous Chef
My family is going camping next week and I wanted to bring some of my MIL's "chile" sauce for them to try. (I don't know why she calls it that because it has no peppers and no hot ingredients). I usually put it on a roast in the crock pot. It has apple, tomato, onion, and nutmeg.

Can/how can I cook a roast in the dutch oven? If not, how else could I cook meat/sauce in the dutch oven or over a campfire?

Can/how can I cook a roast in the dutch oven? If not, how else could I cook meat/sauce in the dutch oven or over a campfire?

Basically, you make a pot roast on a campfire just like you do on your stovetop - you just have to use the coals (number of coals and adjust the height between the coals and the bottom of the pot) to adjust the amount of heat instead of a knob on the stove.

Put your dutch oven on the coals to get it hot, add a tablespoon of oil and swirl it around the bottom of the pot, add your roast and sear one side, then turn it over and sear the other side. Then, toss in a onion (rough/large chopped or quartered) and add enough beef broth/stock (or water) to come up about 1/2 way up the side of the roast. If you want to cook it with the chile sauce - pour some on the top of the roast and smear it around. Put the lid on and let it cook (try to keep it at a low simmer - a boil is too hot). Depending on the size of the roast, and the temperature, it should be ready to eat in 1.5-2.5 hours.

Back
Top Bottom