ISO pans/etc. to be used inside camp dutch oven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BRENDA8725

Assistant Cook
I have had a camp dutch oven for a few years and basically have only tried a few recipes. For X-Mas last year, my husband bought me some books and tools for my dutch oven.

Now, I am on the hunt for more tools. One of the books that I read suggested heavy duty aluminum (restaurant or professional) cake pans on a cake rack for baking biscuits and cobblers in. It also suggested a pan lifter in order to remove the aluminum cake pan from the do.

Does anyone know of a source for the pan lifter. I think it would need to be different than a lid lifter so that it can grip the side of the cake pan (with only a small amount of room between the aluminum pan and the do) and then lift the cake pan out of the oven without spilling the contents.

Any help or suggestions would be great. I have tried several internet searches and just can't seem to find a pan lifter or pot lifter.

Thanks in advance

Hi, Brenda. First, welcome to DC. We're glad you've found us.

Now, to your dilemma. I don't have the answer to your question, but we have a number of members who are quite skilled at DO cooking. The first person who comes to mind is Uncle Bob.

Just be patient and wait for answers. I promise you, they will come.

Congratulations on your new "toys." Aren't they fun?:)

Yoo, hoo...Uncle Bob!

Hey Miss Brenda...

Welcome to DC...Come on in a visit every chance you get.

Not sure I can help you with a source for a "pan lifter". I am not familiar with it. Most of the baking I do in a dutch oven, biscuits, breads, cobblers, and an occsional cake I do them straight in the oven it self. Sometimes for cobblers I line the oven with a good quality aluminum foil to help prevent sticking. Ya have to be very careful with the amount of heat underneath the oven as you know. You might try baking in a cake/pie pan and sit it on a meat trivit designed for the oven or take a tuna can and cut the top and bottom out and use it as a "rack" to set your pan on. Again as for as a "tool" designed to remove a pan I just don't know of one. They may and probably do exist, I just don't know of one. What size oven do you have 10" 12' 14" etc.?

Have Fun!

Thanks for the welcome.

We are enjoying the do and trying to use it more and more when we go camping. I'm looking forward to getting past just using one or two recipes and getting creative with it.

Thank you for your reply. I will probably go with the foil in the oven (at least for now) and not worry about using a trivet and cake pan combination. The book that gave that suggestion indicated to go to a restaurant supply store and they would have what I need--but I am not having luck looking online and since we live in a small town there just aren't any restaurant supply stores around the corner.

Again, thanks for the info.

Miss Brenda...

With a dutch oven you can do just about any recipe that you would do in a conventional oven.....and more too!! So be creative, enjoy you sucesses and laugh at your "flops":LOL: After all the objective is to ....

Enjoy and have Fun!!!;)

Brenda,

I know what you're talking about. My local restaurant supply store carries pot lifters, although I don't see them on their online catalog so I can post a link for you. I have one that came with my set of nested camp cookware. This link shows you what it looks like; it's very similar to what they have at the restaurant supply store. Amazon.com: MSR Panhandler Pot Lifter: Sports & Outdoors

It's really not necessary to buy a special tool to remove a cake pan from a Dutch oven, though. I use channel locks, and they work just fine.

Good luck, and have fun!

Last edited:
I used channel lock pliers with our Dutch ovens--for taking the lid off, for lifting pans out of the oven, etc. They make a pair of pliers for this that also has a notch for picking it up by the bail of the oven.

Unfortunately, I seem to be stuck in a rut when it comes to regular homecooking as well. So, I will be scouting the recipes out and trying out some different things that may just be made this winter in my bean pot after we have tested them on camping trips.

Thank you for the link and the info. Last night (before seeing your post), it occured to me that I was probably looking for a tool similar to ones that pizza restaurants use to remove deep dish pizzas from the oven. When I looked online for pizza restaurant supplies, I found several pan grippers. Showed them to my husband and his response was "you could probably do the same thing with a pair of channel locks or pliers. However, I better not finding any of my tools missing--so if you want some, you will need to make a trip to the hardware store".

He could have saved me a lot of time searching on the internet if he had listened to me when I first began talking to about wanting to get some extra items for the dutch oven.

Thank you again for the link and the info.

Until you track down the pot lifter or the channel locks that you're looking for, maybe you could use strips of parchment cooking paper. Just cut 4 or 5 of them into long enough strips so that they will fit under your pan and up the side and over the top of the DO. Place them an equal distance apart. When you're ready to lift out the pan, grab the tails of the strips that are hanging over the edge of the DO and lift on all of them at once. You should be able to lift the pot/pan out fairly easily.

Back
Top Bottom