Jenny's Apple Crisp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Golfgar4

Senior Cook
When we have our Dutch Oven Monday meals, we generally have some kind of dessert with the meal. But my wife, Jenny, usually can't join us in the dish because she's diabetic. After much "encouraging", I finally got her to suggest a dessert that she'd like to have. I did some searching and found some interesting diabetic dessert recipes, but after talking about them, she decided to create her own. Thus we have Jenny's Apple Crisp.

It turned out wonderfully. I'm sure it's similar to other apple crisp recipes, but I never found with sugar-free maple syrup as an ingredient.

Here's the recipe if anyone is interested.

Jenny’s Apple Crisp
(diabetic recipe)

12” dutch oven

Ingredients

6 cups sliced apples ( we used Fuji’s, but any baking apple will work)
¾ cup flour
½ cup sugar substitute
1 tsp. cinnamon
3 tbs. sugar free maple syrup

Peel and slice apples and place in a bowl of lemon water to keep slices from browning. When ready to proceed, drain apples and mix ingredients thoroughly with apples.

Spray dutch oven with a non-stick spray and pour mixture in.

Topping

1 cup flour
1 cup oatmeal
½ cup sugar substitute
½ cup brown sugar substitute
1 tsp. cinnamon

Mix topping ingredients in a medium bowl. Cut into mixture 2/3 cup of margarine or butter until crumbly. Put topping over apple mixture and bake at 350 degrees for approximately 1 hour. This should be 8 coals under the dutch and 16 coals on top.

Attachments

• Orange roughy1.JPG
    Orange roughy1.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 207
  • Orange roughy8.JPG
    Orange roughy8.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 203
The apple crisp recipe looks really good. We were at the farm all week and I had taken an apple crisp recipe with me since some of the pears are nearing the ripening stage. I made the crisp using pears and put cheddar cheese in the topping mixture. It was so good. I brought some pears home and will do it again in the next few days.

licia said:
The apple crisp recipe looks really good. We were at the farm all week and I had taken an apple crisp recipe with me since some of the pears are nearing the ripening stage. I made the crisp using pears and put cheddar cheese in the topping mixture. It was so good. I brought some pears home and will do it again in the next few days.

Ooooo, I LOVE pears. So all you did was substitute the apples with pears and add some cheddar cheese in the topping? Everything else stays the same? Sounds easy and really good.

I did microwave the pears a couple of minutes since they are a little firmer than apples and I tasted the mixture in case they weren't as sweet, but the rest is the same, just added shredded cheddar to the crisp topping. Everyone loved it.

Back
Top Bottom