"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Campfire & Dutch Oven Cooking

Old 09-14-2011, 02:56 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Maca dutch ovens?

The Maca dutch ovens look interesting. I guess they are made in USA. Anyone have one?

Old 09-14-2011, 07:57 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Interesting the deeper design.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:46 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Maca Dutch Ovens are Made In India ~~ I do not own one.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:55 AM   #4
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Maca Dutch Ovens are Made In India ~~ I do not own one.
Well that's a disappointment.. Thanks for the heads up, you saved me some dollars. Guess will just have to make do with my Lodges...
Old 09-16-2011, 12:35 PM   #5
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Looking at the web site for them I see nothing that indicates they aren't made in Utah. You can even pick the piece up from the foundry and not pay their shipping cost, well, you can get the shipping refunded.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:35 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
Looking at the web site for them I see nothing that indicates they aren't made in Utah. You can even pick the piece up from the foundry and not pay their shipping cost, well, you can get the shipping refunded.
Once again!!!! Maca Dutch Ovens are Made in Calcutta India....The only things produced in Utah are personalized lids!!

Old 09-16-2011, 04:47 PM   #7
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Ahh.. ok.. so what you are saying is that when they say you can pick them up at the foundry I have to drive to India? Gah...

I do find it interesting that they don't mention it, but I did find a made in India on a third party sales page.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:07 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank
Ahh.. ok.. so what you are saying is that when they say you can pick them up at the foundry I have to drive to India? Gah...
Maca is an Industrial Foundry in Utah....Cast iron pots are only a portion of their business...So Ahhhh!!! YES! You can pick up a pot at their "Foundry" in Utah....that was cast(made) in India!!!! Ahhhhh! Got it now????

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank
I do find it interesting that they don't mention it, but I did find a made in India on a third party sales page.
A lot of manufacturers don't want to "advertize" their product was/is Made In India, China, etc....Lodge Manufacturing in South Pittsburg Tenn. is the only American...Made in the USA....company producing cast iron....Their enameled ware is however made in ...China, Taiwan or somewhere...

Old 09-16-2011, 05:26 PM   #9
Master Chef

Site Administrator

I do find it disappointing that the way their site reads it sounds like they made furnace linings, starting doing dutch ovens and all the magic happens in that state of the art facility in Utah.

And they want a fortune to ship the thing to ya as well.

Gah I say gah.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:38 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Manning View Post
Well that's a disappointment.. Thanks for the heads up, you saved me some dollars. Guess will just have to make do with my Lodges...
Bill...
As you may have discovered reviews of MACA ovens are few and far between ... I called a guy this morning whose opinion I trust ~~ If volume is what you're looking for, then the larger sizes 17" & 22" are what you're looking for. The larger ovals work well for turkeys, etc. ~~ They are somewhat heavier/thicker than say Lodge...More mass means more heat retention. This can be a pro or con....depending on your point of view/use...There are those that love them... and those who are detractors/critics. One guy had to order three times to get one with a tight fitting lid. ~~ With only 1 Distributor (Chuck Wagon Supply in Idaho?) and the Home Office in Utah...Cost of shipping (UPS/Fed-X) can be somewhat of a factor/prohibitive for say a 40 Lb. oven to Kentucky! ~~ If you choose to go this route be sure to check the oven for any flaws, lid wobble etc....Obviously you would want to do this with with anything being bought sight unseen...even a Lodge! HTH!!

Fun & Good Cooking!