Making Chili "The Old fashioned Way"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What I do is soak the beans overnight, cook them, and then I measure them out into 2 c containers (with some of the liquid), and freeze them. I do this with garbanzo beans as well. That when the mood strikes to make hummus or something else with beans, all I have to do is pull the amount I want out of the freezer. I do find there is a difference between canned and soaked dry beans...the canned ones are too mushy for my taste.

Andy M. said:
On the contrary. The article was arguing that beans in chili were authentic. The argument sounded valid to me. It stated cooks on the trail would use beans as a filler to stretch meat meals. Dried beans would have traveled well and provided needed nutrients.

And great material for the Blazing Saddles campfire scene...

to be sure, just like there are different types of meaty and vegetable-y tomato sauces, there's different chillis for different dishes. all meat, meat and beans, meat beans and peppers, and so on.

chilli has come that far. "authentic" is lost in it's posterity.

Good luck.
I have never been able to cook any kind of bean dish that way. Not one that used dry beans anyway. I could never keep the coals from snuffing themselves out long before the beans tuned soft. I finally resorted to setting the DO by the campfire. I imagine I was doing something wrong, but I played with it four times before giving up.
I'm interested in your results.

Who puts beans in chili?:rolleyes:

Craig

If you eat a bowl of my chili, better eat some ice cream afterwards. The fun begins the next day.;)

Craig

That is not the fun I am looking for:rolleyes: Yeow!

More along the lines of needing a dog to blame. Of course, I have Shrek...but he's usually the person I making problems for.

Suddenly this thread has become....like an episode of Star Trek...filled with gaseous anomalies.

Cooking with a DO in a fire pit works. Beans, chili, biscuits, cobbler. It sounds like the problem is with the size of the pit not the ingredients. When I've seen this done in the past, the pit was 12 inches deep and 2 or 3 feet across. A wood fire had been burning in it for hours cooking for a dozen ranch hands all day and a thick bed of coals filled the pit. Use a shovel to clear an opening in the coals, put the DO in, and bank coals around and on top.

Who puts beans in chili?:rolleyes:

Craig

Lots of people, and me several years ago. I was talking about a baked beans recipe though. Cooking beans with a buried DO is something I never got a handle on.
Actually, that may have been the OP's original request, info on cooking with a DO. We've moved beyond that now ;)

Back in my hunting days we had a guy bring chili to deer camp that had macaroni in it. That did not go over very well :LOL:

Lots of people, and me several years ago. I was talking about a baked beans recipe though. Cooking beans with a buried DO is something I never got a handle on.
Actually, that may have been the OP's original request, info on cooking with a DO. We've moved beyond that now ;)

Back in my hunting days we had a guy bring chili to deer camp that had macaroni in it. That did not go over very well :LOL:
Squirrel Gun pretty much answered the open pit question.

Being able to make a good chili is one of those dishes I have on the list of "things one should be able to make." It is right up there with scalloped potatoes, roast chicken, roast turkey, spaghetti, cesear salad, and mac-n-cheese. There are things one should be able to make that are always TNT. The comfort foods in life. And, a dynamite homemade chicken noodle soup and just-like-grandma's apple pie. If you can make these things, you can survive in the kitchen.

That is not the fun I am looking for:rolleyes: Yeow!

More along the lines of needing a dog to blame. Of course, I have Shrek...but he's usually the person I making problems for.

We don't need a dog to blame, we have four pugs! One has a built in JATO for going up the stairs at night.

Craig

Squirrel Gun pretty much answered the open pit question.

True. Don't cover with dirt. The coals need oxygen.
Lots of DO camp recipes call for it to be buried. I sure would like to know if they are venting it somehow. Not that I'm going to try it again :rolleyes:

My semi-chili chili:

Heat Oil in pot, add cumin seed and asafetida powder, cook til brown. add ginger pieces and big chunks sweet peppers, finely chopped spicy peppers, then add soy burger and break into pieces in pot. Add can of kidney beans, can of black beans ( or pinto beans, red beans, whatever) cook until stick to bottom of pot.

add corn, stir, and let water from corn pick up sticky flavoring from bottom of pan. when sticking again, mix in a couple blanched tomatoes or can of sauce, and some water, add salt and other spices as you like.

cook it down with a lid on until done.

**i add whatever veggies i want/have at the time... like fried potatoes, green beans, greens. makes for an interesting bowl of chili.

not sure what to call it, except chili.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom