Mountainman Breakfast...Again.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Golfgar4

Senior Cook
This has to be one of the most popular recipes in dutch oven cooking, and it never fails to please people, especially those folks that have never tried it.

I made 2 batches this morning for some of the other workampers here in the park we're at. Not one of them had ever heard of it, let alone tried it. So it was a lot of fun to watch them as they watched me cooking the meal. I did deviate from the regular recipe and used my gas grill to brown the sausage and cook the hash browns. I did that just to save some time because a few of the folks had to get to work. But once it was put together, I finished the cooking with coals.

If there's anyone that doesn't have the recipe, here it is. It's fast and easy.

Mountainman Breakfast

12” Dutch Oven

2 pounds sausage
2 pounds frozen hash brown potatoes
12 eggs, beaten with ¼ cup of water or milk
2 cups cheese, grated

In a 12” dutch oven over a full bed of hot coals, fry and crumble sausage. Remove cooked sausage and drain on paper towels. Using sausage drippings in the DO, brown potatoes and spread them evenly in bottom of DO. Place cooked sausage over potatoes. Pour eggs over sausage layer. Sprinkle top with cheese. Cook with 8 coals under and 16 on top for 20 to 25 minutes, until eggs are cooked.

Attachments

• Mountainman 2(R).jpg
    Mountainman 2(R).jpg
    296.4 KB · Views: 232
  • Mountainman 3(R).jpg
    Mountainman 3(R).jpg
    290 KB · Views: 252
  • Mountainman 6(R).jpg
    Mountainman 6(R).jpg
    289.4 KB · Views: 284
  • Mountainman 9(R).jpg
    Mountainman 9(R).jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 297
im really thinking I need to get a dutch oven

You can use it for lots, including the no knead crusty bread always talked about and anything you'd use a big pot for, stew, chile, homemade beans..., but if you want to play around with it outside, don't get it with a domed lid, get the one that has an almost flat lid with a lip around it to hold the coals.

ETA; like the one in the pics :LOL:

Mine has a glass lid, so Im assuming I shouldnt use it for outdoor cooking?

Welll, I wouldn't try to rest hot coals on the lid, or bury it underground.
I think there was discussion here before about what a true DO is and... what's the other one? Belgian, French??? They are heavy pots, but not true DOs.

Someone will know what I'm trying to say :wacko:

Mine has a glass lid, so Im assuming I shouldnt use it for outdoor cooking?

For outdoor cooking on charcoal or wood fires, ideally you want a cast iron dutch oven that has 3 legs on it and has a flat lid that has a lip around the outer edge of the lid. This is to hold the coals on top of the lid. I've posted a picture of this kind of dutch oven.

The kind you have sounds like one of the enamel type of dutch ovens that is used inside an oven or on top of a stove. I don't know what they're called, as I've never used one. I'm strictly an outside cooking kind of guy. :LOL:

Attachments

• Dutch Oven.jpg
    Dutch Oven.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 162
For outdoor cooking on charcoal or wood fires, ideally you want a cast iron dutch oven that has 3 legs on it and has a flat lid that has a lip around the outer edge of the lid. This is to hold the coals on top of the lid. I've posted a picture of this kind of dutch oven.

The kind you have sounds like one of the enamel type of dutch ovens that is used inside an oven or on top of a stove. I don't know what they're called, as I've never used one. I'm strictly an outside cooking kind of guy. :LOL:

Hmmm, are you sure?
:LOL:

What's that saying, it's deja vu all over again?
:LOL:;)

So then I don't suppose you have a converted recipe for indoor cooking....??:chef:

Any recipe that can be cooked in a kitchen can be cooked in a dutch oven outside, and vice versa. In the case of the Mountainman breakfast, just use a large enough casserole dish that you can put in the oven. The standard 12" dutch oven is 6 qt., so figure the size of the casserole dish based on that. Brown the sausage in a separate pan, and once all of the ingredients are added together, I think I'd bake it in about a 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes or so. The key is to make sure the eggs are cooked completely.

I don't use a different pot. I set my DO on a cookie sheet. It's heavy, but workable.

That's a great idea. But my DO won't fit in my oven (we're FT rv'ers in a motorhome. The ovens aren't very big!), so I pretty much do everything outside. :LOL:

sounds wonderful, thank you!! Can't believe I have never seen this recipe before let alone eaten it before.....I'll be sure to fix that!!;)

They should just get rid of those ovens and put a bigger fridge and sink in them. All the RVing I did as a kid with my folks and I don't ever remember them turning on the oven/stove, not even for popcorn. :)

I know what you mean, but we use our oven and stove all of the time. Of course, it's a bit different being full time as compared to just vacationing for short periods of time. It would be nice to have a larger sink though. :rolleyes:

This has to be one of the most popular recipes in dutch oven cooking, and it never fails to please people, especially those folks that have never tried it.

I made 2 batches this morning for some of the other workampers here in the park we're at. Not one of them had ever heard of it, let alone tried it. So it was a lot of fun to watch them as they watched me cooking the meal. I did deviate from the regular recipe and used my gas grill to brown the sausage and cook the hash browns. I did that just to save some time because a few of the folks had to get to work. But once it was put together, I finished the cooking with coals.

If there's anyone that doesn't have the recipe, here it is. It's fast and easy.

Mountainman Breakfast

12” Dutch Oven

2 pounds sausage
2 pounds frozen hash brown potatoes
12 eggs, beaten with ¼ cup of water or milk
2 cups cheese, grated

In a 12” dutch oven over a full bed of hot coals, fry and crumble sausage. Remove cooked sausage and drain on paper towels. Using sausage drippings in the DO, brown potatoes and spread them evenly in bottom of DO. Place cooked sausage over potatoes. Pour eggs over sausage layer. Sprinkle top with cheese. Cook with 8 coals under and 16 on top for 20 to 25 minutes, until eggs are cooked.

We were camping over New Year's with our Airstream unit and had MM Bkfst for the first time. It was made with an ostrich egg and they added some green chile to it too. It was served on tortillas with some salsa. Needless to say it was delicious!

I've been thinking about doing Dutch oven for a while but that threw me over the edge. I got my first DOs this week!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom