"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Campfire & Dutch Oven Cooking

Old 10-26-2007, 05:56 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to mikki
they can still do banana boats or apple boats with a colman stove just use a pan with a lid. I thought boy scouts did everything over an open fire?

Old 10-26-2007, 06:04 PM   #12
Master Chef

I made these on teh stove top and they came out wonderful. I call them blueberry burritoes. They consist of a thick crepe, filled with blueberries, or blueberry pie filling.

Crepe ingredients:
1 cup flour
1 tbs. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
4 tbs. sugar
2 tbs. powderd milk
2 large eggs (or enough dried egg powder to make equivalent)
4 tbs. butter, melted
1 cup water

Blueberry pie filling
1 can blueberry pie filling, or
1 cup blueberries
1/2 cup water
3 tbs. sugar
1 tbs. cornstarch
1 cup water

Bring the cup of water, sugar, and blueberries to a boil. Mix together the cornstarch and 3 tbs. water into a slurry. Add the cornstarch slowly to the blueberries until the mixture is thick eonough to coat a spoon. Remove from heat.

Mix the crepe ingredients together. Melt 3 tbs. butter and stir into the batter. Use the remaining butter to grease the cooking pan. Pour three tbs. of batter into the pan and cook until bubbles form and begin to pop on top. Flip and cook for 1 minute more. Remove from the pan. Repeat.

Fill the center of each crepe with the blueberry mixture and fold the bottom 1/3 of the way up. Then fold the sides to the middle to form a burrito. Serve hot.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 08:28 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikki
I thought boy scouts did everything over an open fire?
LOL ... these are Cub Scouts - a little too young to be trusted with an open fire ... go back and re-read the original post.

Now, even with the older boys (Boy Scouts) and adult campers it depends on where you camp, the fire dangers, restrictions, etc. as to whether you can have an open campfire or are restricted to a Coleman stove.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:52 AM   #14
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to mikki
Sorry I forgot other states have restriction on open fires,the crack about boy scouts was just that, a wise crack. In our area the girls scouts are always hearing it from the boys about how using modren things to camp with is not really camping. But as far as age a had a troop (of 15) of 9,10,&11 year old girls and we only used an open fire for a whole weekend,you just need to make sure you have enough adults for good supervision. That weekend I think the girls even supprised themselves at what they could accomplish.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:37 AM   #15
Master Chef

Another great part of a desert can be dulce-del leche. To make it, simply take 1 can of sweetened, evaporated milk, place it in a pot of boiling water, and let it sit there for 35 minutes. Remove the can and cool it by placing the can into a large bath of cold water. Then remove and open the can. You will have a thick and creamy caramel flavored sauce that can be spooned over fresh berries, or spread over pancakes, or snack cakes of any kind.

Another very simple desert is to take 1 cup of all purpose flour, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/3 cup sugar,, and 1 stick of butter, melted. and 1 tsp vanilla. Combine all ingredients together and place in a lightly oiled mess-kit frying pan, tightly cover with aluminum foil, and put over a low flame. Flip the pan after 10 minutes and cook for another 5. Flip again and remove the foil. You have shortbread to go with the dulce-de leche.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 12:43 AM   #16
Head Chef

Wow, that sounds fantastic, GW!!!! Shortbread, berries, and caramel cream sauce!!!

That's what I'd pick as a competition entry!

Lee
Old 10-28-2007, 07:55 AM   #17
Head Chef

I saw on Paula Dean show this summer where her and her boys were doing bq and they took a floured tortilla and made a dessert her is the link to it.
Tortilla Dessert Wraps Recipe: Recipes: Food Network
in the show they used snicker bars

I been going to try them, I would have to omit the almond paste myself.
Just thought- gave myself an idea - might be a good to do with the grandsons using the oven, they could put what they wanted in it,
Old 10-29-2007, 03:00 AM   #18
Executive Chef

How about brownies?
Old 10-29-2007, 03:12 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
Another great part of a desert can be dulce-del leche. To make it, simply take 1 can of sweetened, evaporated milk, place it in a pot of boiling water, and let it sit there for 35 minutes.
good one, gw.

i've found it can take a bit longer, upwards of 2 hours, though.

just be sure to keep the can submerged the whole time, or kablooey! hot milk for everyone, wether they like it or not.
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 09:24 AM   #20
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post
Well, this isn't a gourmet rice pudding but it will work on a Coleman stove on a campout:

Minute Rice (white)
Water
Butter
Sugar
Vanilla extract
Cinnamon, ground
Rasins
Chopped nuts - walnuts or pecans (optional)

Obviously - all amounts are to taste based on the amount of rice you make.

Add water, butter, rasins and a few drops of vanilla to a covered pot and bring to a boil. Add rice, stir well, put lid back on pot and remove from the heat - let stand 5 minutes or until water is absorbed.

Add the sugar, cinnamon and nuts - stir well and serve while still warm.

MMMM, that does sound good. Thanks for the recipe.