Need help with Chuck Eye roast idea..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well we are so glad you came LT. A meat trivet is made of metal, and is often times placed in a DO to keep the meat from sitting directly on the bottom. This can prevent burning or scortching of the meat should your coals get to hot. If you don't have one, not to worry. Three or 4 canning jar rings can be used. Or cut the top and bottom out of 3 or 4 tun cans. Or as I stated earlier, just use a bed of vegetables. They work fine. Also they ad lots of flavor, and you get to eat them along with the roast. The "smoke" will add it's flavor as will other herbs & spices you put in the pot...Have Fun & Enjoy!

hey uncle B what if i were to use the bed of vegetables as a trivet like you state. what kind of liquid could i use to kinda caramelize the veges into a nice garnish to go ontop of the sliced beef. this week end i will not be able to pull out the DO but i can still use the grill to smoke and then just transfer to a house oven and slow cook for 3 or 4 hours at around 300*. should i use a oven bag with beef stock if i use a chuck roast. if i use a rib roast i dont need liquid right?? as you can tell im having issues as of what meat i should buy. if its a chuck and its on the vegetables and i use beef stock wont that move the veges around.. man now i dont know what to do...

LT...

My comments/ideas up until now have centered around your original plan of cooking a chuck roast in a DO after adding some smoke flavor from your grill.
(Re-read my post # 3) Which in a nutshell states; brown/sear over well lit charcoal on both sides. Next move the roast so that it will not be directly over the coals. Add wood. Close the lid of your grill for up to an hour, more or less. Transfer the roast to your dutch oven and cook.

How you cook it beyond this point is up to you. In a dutch oven, using charcoal as your heat source. In a DO or other suitiable vessel on top of your stove. Where you would slowly simmer it. Or place your DO (or other suitable pot) inside your oven. Or place it in a crock pot and let it do it's thing. In each case you can place the roast on a bed of veggies, add some to the sides, and some to the top. What ever you would like to do. The liquid you add can be almost anything. Water, beef broth, chicken stock, wine, beer, Dr. Pepper, Coke, just to name a few. Each will add their own unique flavor to the finished product as will the addtion of 'cream' soups, or dry soup mixes. If the "smoke" flavor is your goal, I would not add anything that may tend to mask that flavor. So just add water and or beef broth along with the veggies.

If you buy a rib roast all bets are off!! I would not cook a rib roast using this method. So I hope this helps.

Have Fun & Enjoy!!

yeah thats true. if i were to do a rib roast i would sear and then smoke just like you said for about an hour then put a roasting pan down with some onions and potatos and set the rib roast on that and cook it. then use the left over oil and drippings for gravy and carmeled onions/potatos. then make me some awesome yorkshire pudding to go with it.

Back
Top Bottom