"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Campfire & Dutch Oven Cooking

Old 06-27-2008, 07:42 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixSix210 View Post
I'm going to camp in a few weeks, taking my scout troop. I was recently informed that the camp we are going to holds a campfire cooking challenge for the scoutmasters. I need ideas. I want a real show stopper with basic ingredients that's fast and easy. Maybe easy is not the right word for it... I'm experienced so it can be technical, I just want to make sure it doesn't require TONS of advanced preperation.
Hi SixSix,
I live on the other side of the pond and in Ediburgh, which is hardly campfire city, capital though it is! However, this is not going to stop me adding my two pence worth!

I think you really need to find out what the rules are. If judging takes place then there must be rules - or may be not. Love Michael in FtW`s idea of snake and it may be worth seeking more advice from him as his idea suggests he knows a lot about snakes. In my experience "snake, ratlle and roll" is purely musical. However, I digress!

Looking at the suggestions you`ve been given reminds me that you have two sources of heat. First, a large pot suspended above the flames in which you could cook items both savoury and sweet if you could find a divided pan and make a fruit cobbler in one half, from berries collected on site and a lentil casserole in the other half to serve with fish/meat. The fish need to be cleaned and placed on twig skewers and grilled in front of the flames of the fire. Do you get any of the RAY MEARS programmes in the USA. His programmes show living off the land and how to cook. Perhaps you could access them through the BBC web site.

All the best,
Archiduc

Old 07-03-2008, 04:09 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Location: NJ for the moment, heading south next spring to be with my family.
Sorry for the delay...life happens ya know? The judging is done by a panel of other scoutmasters, the camp chef, and scouts I believe.

No beer. I thought the brats would be a good idea, but I'm a bit worried about making essentially a hot dog... I don't know if they grade on originality. lol.

And yeah. it's very Iron Chef-y

Some great ideas in here!!! Thanks to all!!!

I was watching Diners Drive in's and Dives and saw a guy make Guy's face out of pancake batter. I'm thinking I might take a run at making the fleur d lis scout emblem in a similar fashion. I made some "smores" on the fire at our last scout outing. I brought my triple chocolate cookies and used those instead of grahm crackers, and added bananas and marshmallows in the middle and cooked em in foil...

I dig the pork loin idea... I make kick tail spiced grilled pears....might make a nice addition...

and dang Michael In FTW...almost made my brain pop...tons of great ideas, especially the ribs and the chicken fried steak.. not too sure about the okra...the camp is in maryland, not sure they know what it is

And Goodweed... forget camp... I gotta take a crack at that turkey well before i go to camp.

Old 07-03-2008, 04:13 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Location: NJ for the moment, heading south next spring to be with my family.
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiduc View Post
Hi SixSix,
Do you get any of the RAY MEARS programmes in the USA. His programmes show living off the land and how to cook. Perhaps you could access them through the BBC web site.

All the best,
Archiduc
My boys in the troop ADORE and WORSHIP Ray Mears. I don't remember when we had a meeting and I didn't hear his name. Matter of fact, we're going bushcrafting on the 11th-13th. Just dirt and a small survival kit...
Old 07-28-2008, 04:47 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

camp cooking

"Silver Turtles" Cut up/ dice potatoes,carrots, onions, mix in hambuger or sausage( Owen's,Jimmy Dean , Deer/pork...ect wrap in foil and place on hot coals place coals on top of foil cook for 15 min then flip add coals and cook for 15 min ...you can season the meat prior to cooking. Eat the Turtles right out of the foil... caution make sure all coals are removed from foil packet.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:15 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixSix210 View Post
My boys in the troop ADORE and WORSHIP Ray Mears. I don't remember when we had a meeting and I didn't hear his name. Matter of fact, we're going bushcrafting on the 11th-13th. Just dirt and a small survival kit...
Hi SixSix210,

Ray Mears is a giant in respect of "bushcraft" but so accessible, IMHO.

He is a man with integrity and respect for the culture(s) of others. This makes him very rare, IMHO.

Why not get your boys to contact him and ask for his advice? I reckon they would get an answer.

All the best,
Archiduc
Old 08-01-2008, 11:42 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Dinner: Impossible : Michael Symon : TV : Food Network If you scroll down a bit on "Camp Cookoff: Robert vs. Guy" you'll see a list of what these two chefs cooked for a bunch of kids during camp. This episode aired on Wednesday and it was so entertaining to watch. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.