"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Campfire & Dutch Oven Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2017, 08:55 AM   #1
Sous Chef

New Years Celebration, Camping style

OK my cooking friends, this is a bit of a tough nut, but I think you are up to the challenge. I need a recipe for my new years dinner, but there are some considerations of course....

After another fine year in retail sales, I have decided this year to put all my holiday celebration energy into a week long trip starting after Xmas. We are leaving 12/27 on a jet plane.

Where are we going? I don't know. My wife and helpmeet has challenged me both in adventurousness and whimsy. She bought the tickets as a Christmas gift, I'm taking the ride. My guidance on this is a backpacking trip of seven days, warm weather. The destination is a mystery until we show up at the airport.

I Suspect, given warm weather, and that we are going to be in the Continental US (she hasn't asked for my passport), we are desert camping. So I won't have a lot of water to play with.

So I want a New Year's meal that I can put into a quart freezer bag, and which can be prepared using a MSR XGK stove, and a single pot. Minimal water. Has to survive an airplane trip. Has to be backpack friendly.

On the plus side I have whatever resources to throw at it in prep we leave on 12/27, so frozen is kind of an option. I have access to freeze dried chicken and beef.

My Beloved Wife is really working on this mystery trip, I want to reward her effort with something spectacular for New Years.

Any thoughts?

TBS (E-F)

Old 12-09-2017, 11:03 AM   #2
Executive Chef

This does seem to be a bit of a challenge at the outset. Where I’m coming from -- is my idea of camping these days involves a blow up sleep # bed, a natural heated pool and a blazing campfire at night to scare the bears and keep the skeeters at bay. Toasty marshmallows too. Also imagine not having to trug along heavy 35mm camera equipment complete w/ zoom lenses and tripods etc, and this lightens your backpack tremendously. Overall, it seems like a great Christmas holiday for you both.

I’ve never had cuppa noodles, but it seems to be practically h2o free. What else is there like this.

I was just looking at Rei.com, type "camping food" in the search box as it doesn’t have its own category. Lots of ideas and camp food has certainly evolved since our days of camping with tuna and betty crocker box potatoes. I was especially intrigued with their Thai/ ethnic foods, ready made guacamole and bagged beef stroganoff. Anyway, this site may give you some ideas.

Old 12-09-2017, 12:02 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Sounds like my kinda camping trip.....except for the "Leaving on a Jet Plane" part..... :)
I was going to mention something about carrying your stove fuel on board but then your stove burns anything so you're all set.
Old 12-09-2017, 01:22 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Yep. I looked at your stove on line. Looks like a light weight all purpose stove, Can't imagine the TSA would allow fuel in transit, but it's easy something to pick up.

Celebratory? slice some fresh fruit and a bottle of good wine while looking at the stars.

RF, I forget what all you have brought when you go bicycle camping. Hope you may be willing to let TBS know what works well.
Old 12-09-2017, 07:36 PM   #5
Sous Chef

The stove will work with anything remotely flammable. I really love the MSR. There is a reason it is the stove of choice for travelers. We are in CONUS, so we have access to napathene almost everywhere. Or Diesel, or avgas. For those of you with a prepper mindset, go MSR.

So I have dehydrated food, and good food, if anyone has used Mountain Home. good stuff.

I want to do something special for Beloved Wife, and we will be four days in.

Limited resources for cooking. I'm also posting on a hiking specific place, but wanted to hear what you thought.

Everything aside, it is going to be epic, and I will post the recipe when I come up with it.

TBS (E-F)
Old 12-09-2017, 09:12 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Can you pick up ingredients near the airport before you start the backpacking part of the trip?
Old 12-10-2017, 12:42 AM   #7
Sous Chef

Got Garlic, I can pick up *fuel* for the stove near the airport definite. I am trying to do a good 7 day menu with dried and canned stuff.

So I have a bunch of dehydrated chicken coming by mail. There is that. And I have a lot of barley and oat groats, like a barrel of it. So that again.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:52 AM   #8
Head Chef

My backpacking days are long past. I used to work for REI, many years ago, which owns MSR. I have a lifetime membership from it. I also did camp cooking classes at my local REI, but of course, I was promoting products we sold in the process.

I have a Foodsaver machine, and wish I would have had one in my wilderness backpacking days. Cured and/or smoked meats vacuum sealed would have been awesome to take along.

If you think you will be going someplace where you can catch some fish, bring some string and hooks. Fresh fish is always good over a campfire. It doesn't even have to be great fish, from a sportsman's eyes.It still tastes good, because you caught it, and you are cooking it over an open fire.

Foil packs are always a good way to cook stuff that doesn't need refrigeration. Using smoked/dried meats to flavor durable veggies is nice.

My number one thing to pack on those wilderness trips were lots of herbs and spices. They weigh next to nothing, and can turn things you normally wouldn't cook for dinner into something pretty good -- especially if you are very hungry, LOL.

One of my favorite things was to multi-task. I'd bring oranges along to eat at breakfast instead of orange juice, and use the half cut "skins" to cook eggs right on the smoldering hot coals of last night's campfire. It gave me something like poached eggs. And, believe it or not, fresh eggs are not that difficult to pack.

My number one thing about camp food is, everything seems to taste better when cooked over a fire, and eaten after a long day of hiking. It is all mental, but still very real.

Good luck, and enjoy.

CD
Old 12-10-2017, 09:21 AM   #9
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
My number one thing about camp food is, everything seems to taste better when cooked over a fire, and eaten after a long day of hiking. It is all mental, but still very real.
Hunger is a great sauce, and yes, there is definitely something about the outdoors that adds savor to the fare.

Nice to hear from an REI guy. I have a lot of respect for that company, and am a member. A lot of that is because of of its policy of being quite closed on Black Friday, and encouraging their employees to spend the day outside. As a retail slave, B&N currently, that gets some mad respect. Plus they have great camping stuff.

My Beloved Wife's pack is from REI, they worked with me quite well on getting it, she is tall for a girl, six feet, so I had them put together a guy's pack with a woman's hip belt and shoulder rig. Actually got a pack for her that has the right center of gravity, but sits right on her hips and doesn't pinch on her lady stuff. Word.

Seven days of backpacking food for an unknown destination, that also have to be taken through TSA is a considerable challenge. I'll probably be posting the menu. Thanks for your suggestions. Also love the orange idea with eggs. Gonna use that.

TBS (E-F)
Old 12-10-2017, 11:10 AM   #10
Executive Chef

This was camping for me in the summer of '77 in The Bridger Wilderness, Wind River Mountains. We were not particularly accomplished camp cooks... just mostly freeze dried meals from Mountain House, with cheese and hard salami with crackers crackers for most lunches:

This is camping for me now - I don't think I can offer much help for your current dilemma:

Tags
camping, new year

« Dutch Oven Pizza | - »