NYT Bread in a DO while camping?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeV

Washing Up
I'm going for a weeklong fishing/camping trip with a large group of people (30+) in July, and wondered if anyone has ever made the NYT bread in a DO outdoors. I don't think I can get the top crust as crispy as in the oven at home, but it's more the flavor and the novelty that I'm after. I can proof the bread in the tent out of the breeeze, so that's not a problem. Any advice would be appreciated.

Joe

You are doing this over a fire ? Or on a grill?

My guess is that the bottom of the bread would burn. IMO you need to surround the cooking vessel with heat.

But that's just a guess. I've never tried it.

Uncle Bob might have, though. He has a very sweet outdoor cooking set-up.

I'd suggest baking the loaves in advance, taking them along in zipper-lock bags, and then re-crisping them on the grill when it's time to eat.

You are doing this over a fire ? Or on a grill?
This would be done over an open fire. I was hoping someone else already made the mistakes that I'm certain I will make. I learn real well from other people's mistakes.:LOL: I don'tmind making mistakes in front of strangers because they are usually kind. But friends & relatives, well, that's quite another story.

Joe

JoeV....Bread can be baked in a Dutch "Oven" with some practice, and understanding of the oven. With the trip in July, and this being Mid May, you certainly have time to practice a couple of times...A couple of Tips...When baking in a Dutch Over the majority of the heat comes from the top (lid) of the oven. Of course this means most of your coals (briquettes) will be placed on the lid....If you have a 12 in oven, and want a 350* baking temperature inside the oven, then a rule of thumb would be 17-18 coals on top, evenly spaced and 7-8 on (underneath) the bottom evenly spaced...Stated another way...about 2/3 of the coals on top...1/3 below. The coals will have to be replaced every hour or so with lit coals to maintain a constant temp. Tip: Every 20 or 30 minutes rotate the oven 1/4 turn...at the same time rotate the lid 1/4 turn in the opposite direction...this helps with even baking of the bread. This will also allow you a very, very quick peek at what's going on in the oven.
Start you practicing with bisquits, cookies, etc...they don't take alot of time.
You will learn a lot, build your confidence, and also get to eat some good bisquits and cookies along the way.;)

Have Fun!

Uncle Bob's plan sounds right to me - and since the entire bake takes less than an hour, changing the coals shouldn't be an issue in this case.

It strikes me that the thing that needs to be worked out with this plan is what to do about the last stage of the bake, which is usually done with the lid off of the DO inside of a regular oven. The bread needs that time dry, not moist, so that the crust can harden up. Perhaps just lifting the lid for a few seconds would let out enough moisture, but I'm not sure. Another possibility is leaving the lid cracked during the last stage.

Uncle Bob's plan sounds right to me - and since the entire bake takes less than an hour, changing the coals shouldn't be an issue in this case.

It strikes me that the thing that needs to be worked out with this plan is what to do about the last stage of the bake, which is usually done with the lid off of the DO inside of a regular oven. The bread needs that time dry, not moist, so that the crust can harden up. Perhaps just lifting the lid for a few seconds would let out enough moisture, but I'm not sure. Another possibility is leaving the lid cracked during the last stage.

I read through most of the 11 pages of tre NYT bread thread (good reading!) and I think many people found they didnt need to bake with the lid off afterall. I haven't tried it yet myself, but I'm really going to soon!! :chef:

I"ve never cooked the recipe inside the kitchen or in a Dutch oven...However; if towards the end of the cook time the top was not as brown as the baker wanted it to be, simply turn on the "broiler"....add a lot of fresh hot coals to the top...and check on it frequently until the desired degree of browning has been accomplished. Or as Miss Suzi suggest...there may be no need to do anything....

Fun

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom