"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Campfire & Dutch Oven Cooking

Old 01-15-2007, 08:31 AM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne
Goodweed, I've never brined a bird before, but it's obvious I'm one of the last of the foodies not to have done so! Thanks so much for your brining recipe and suggestions. I'm copying and pasting. It sounds good already.

Anne
You're very welcome.

Seeeeeya; Goodwed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 11:05 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob
With all of the popularity/talk of brining turkey for the holidays I plan very soon to brine 3 birds and give them a turn over an open fire...Will be interesting to compare...maybe I will brine 2 and not brine one...do a taste test...Any ideas for the brine itself?

Uncle Bob
Uncle Bob, I know nothing of brine recipes but I demonstrate as a blacksmith in a few local folk festivals every year. There is a lady who regularly attends one event and uses an interesting device over an open fire. It is supposed to be a period cooking appliance used in the 19th century and perhaps before. Essentially, it is a sheet metal box closed on three sides and the top, about an 18 inch cube, with a series of slots thru the parallel sides to hold one or more baster rods. The bird(s) is skewered and the rod laid in the slots then the assembly is placed near the open fire. The cook periodically turns the rotisserie and can move the box in or out to regulate the heat. This gal is a fine cook and uses a very simple baste that consists of butter, some basic herbs and salt/pepper. It takes about 3 hours to do a typical chicken but the wait is worth it. For some reason, this slow roast makes for an outstanding meal and the bird will easily pull apart with the fingers. I always make a little piece of iron for her and she saves me a drumstick - a satisfactory trade for both of us...

Old 01-16-2007, 08:22 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

HWooldridge.......

Sounds like a neat device...I have never heard of it...Probably designed for hearth cooking...set it close for direct heat and the box would act like an oven at the same time...move it back for less direct heat...

Slow roast birds are definately an excellent product..I usually need at least 2 1/2 some times 3 hours to roast a chicken to the proper doneness. All depending on fire control with all of its factors. Be sure to check out my "outdoor kitchen etc." In the member photo section under "Where we live"... The SS Rotisserie is kinda hard to see..It is 1 horse power...ME!

I am fairly new to the brining routine...It does a good job on poultry products and pork and some "seafood" items...There are numerous recipes for the brine.
Several here on DC....Most are a basic brine with variations on a theme depending on what one likes. I brined 4 big pork chops for about 2 hours using a basic brine plus a literal "handfull" of sausage seasoning...Then slow grilled...You could detect the sausage flavor but not so much as to think you were eating sausage rather than a p-chop. I can recommed you try brining as it does make for a tender and moist product.