Pear Custard Cobbler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Golfgar4

Senior Cook
I always like to try new recipes, especially desserts. I came across a recipe for a pear custard cobbler.

The cobbler was another interesting success. But I also noticed that the vast majority of pear desserts usually have some type of other fruit mixed in with them, such as blackberries or raspberries. After eating it, we determined that although it was delicious, it was a bit bland compared to other desserts we've had. Clearly, that's why other fruits are mixed in with pears in other recipes. I guess this wasn't a failure either, because we took some bowls over to our neighbors and nobody turned them down. :LOL:

PEAR CUSTARD COBBLER

This deep-dish cobbler has a custard filling and is made with canned pears.

Preparation time: 20 min Baking time: 40 min
Yield: 9 servings

Filling Ingredients:

1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3 eggs
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 (29-ounce) cans pear halves, drained, cubed

Topping Ingredients:

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup cold butter
1/4 cup milk
1 egg, slighty beaten
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Heat oven to 350°F. Combine brown sugar, 3 eggs, cornstarch and 1/4 teaspoon salt in small bowl; mix well. Gently stir in pears. Spoon into greased 8-inch square (2-quart) baking dish. Set aside.

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt in medium bowl; cut in butter with pastry blender or fork until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk, 1 egg and walnuts.

Drop dough evenly over pear mixture into 9 mounds. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until filling is set and biscuits are golden brown. Serve warm.

Attachments

• DC Beef Stew7.jpg
    DC Beef Stew7.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 261
  • DC Beef Stew9.jpg
    DC Beef Stew9.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:
Golfgar4,

Thank you for sharing this recipe. I think it sounds wonderful and am considering making this to bring as part of our Thanksgiving weekend. No one turns down sweets at my parent's house-where I will be over the holiday. I think it should go over well.

Laura

I'm sure everyone will enjoy it. The only thing that I really did wrong was to combine all of the topping ingredients at the same time instead of waiting with the milk, egg and walnuts until after the butter was cut in. The topping is supposed to be more crumbly than doughy. Mine turned out doughy, and I was able to drop blobs of dough onto the pear mixture, but maybe the crumbly consistency would be easier to spread around.

But I will say that it is a nice change from the traditional cobblers. :)

Back
Top Bottom