Pie Irons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks! I always wondered what this utensil was called. My dad has one - many years old - that he used to make "grilled" cheese &/or ham & cheese sandwiches for us kids. The cooking part was round & the handles were about 2-foot or so long.

Slice of white bread in the bottom, several slices of American cheese & ham on top of that, another slice of bread, close the thing up & lock it closed, then place it on top of the outdoor grill or on the indoor electric range burner. Boy - did we, & our friends, consider that a treat, since none of our friends's parents had the same contraption.

Tin Hut said:
Let me know how you like them. I've got a bunch of cast iron & ovens & am going to try to cook more outside than over the stove of the trailer. I'd like to find some larger ones so that I could cook several pies or one large on that can be shared. Guess that's where having several irons in the fire comes from.

Rome makes a double pie iron in both cast iron and cast aluminum.

I love those things. I have 4 in the camper. Nothing like having an "instant" pizza or apple pie when you are camping. I'll have to dig out my mother's "pizza filling" recipe and post it.

Chaplain Kent, dig them out, you will love them. They are called different things in different countries, we call them quixie irons, My husband calls the bean pie makers (Isle of Man), they were much used in the senior boys studies. We always had a double one at the beach, but that was more than 50 years ago. Now we have an electric 4 cavity. You can dream up any thing to cook in them. Breakfast, buttered bread with bacon egg tomato mushrooms etc. Seafoods, mince (ground beef) flavoured any way, baked beans, sauced spagetti, it's endless.

Back
Top Bottom