"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Campfire & Dutch Oven Cooking

Old 09-12-2014, 06:11 PM   #11
Head Chef

The pineapple chicken recipe sounds good, so does yours [letscook]. I might try yours because I'd like that little bit of sourness. I just need to get the chicken, bouillon cube , pineapple chunks and green pepper. I have arrowroot instead of cornstarch.

Also, I want to halve your recipe as 4 chicken pieces are too much. I guess I can just halve the ingredients.

Old 09-12-2014, 07:06 PM   #12
Head Chef

Yes, it easily can be cut in half.
I have also done it with chicken wings, and for a pot luck dinner I did all drumsticks.

Old 09-12-2014, 07:55 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
The pineapple chicken recipe sounds good, so does yours [letscook]. I might try yours because I'd like that little bit of sourness. I just need to get the chicken, bouillon cube , pineapple chunks and green pepper. I have arrowroot instead of cornstarch.

Also, I want to halve your recipe as 4 chicken pieces are too much. I guess I can just halve the ingredients.
I've used a bit of apple cider vinegar for sourness. If you do add something sour, then arrowroot should theoretically work better than cornstarch.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:39 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I've used a bit of apple cider vinegar for sourness. If you do add something sour, then arrowroot should theoretically work better than cornstarch.
From a web source. "It’s an excellent substitute for cornstarch and flour as a thickening agent in sauces, gravies, pie fillings, and puddings. Arrowroot starch is neutral tasting and tolerates acidic ingredients, such as citrus".

For a second there, I was a bit confused with your reply, then I thought it over.
Arrowroot will go well with the other ingredients in this dish that sour it and are acidic, such as the vinegar. Noted.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:29 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
From a web source. "Itís an excellent substitute for cornstarch and flour as a thickening agent in sauces, gravies, pie fillings, and puddings. Arrowroot starch is neutral tasting and tolerates acidic ingredients, such as citrus".

For a second there, I was a bit confused with your reply, then I thought it over.
Arrowroot will go well with the other ingredients in this dish that sour it and are acidic, such as the vinegar. Noted.
Sorry I wasn't more clear. I did a lot of Googling when I was looking for a substitute for potato starch. I can't really say from personal experience whether or not arrowroot is better with acidic stuff than cornstarch, but my research tells me arrowroot should be better for acidic stuff.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:30 PM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by letscook View Post
If you don't have the time or the dutch oven - this is a great one.

Hawaiian Chicken
4 chicken breast or pieces equalivent
Mix together & coat chicken pieces
1/2 cup flour
salt & pepper
Brown chicken in 1/3 cup of oil and set aside
Sauce;
1 13- 15 oz. can chunk pinneapple - drained saving juice - set pinneapple aside.
drain juice into a 2 cup measuring cup, then add enough water to make it 1 1/4 cups
Place juice into a sauce pan and add:
2 tbl cornstarch
3/4 cup cider vingear
1 tbl soy sauce
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp chicken bouillon cube ( or add chicken broth to the pinneapple juice)
whisking constantly till comes to a boil
Place chicken into a baking dish
pour sauce over chicken
Top with pineapple and 1 green pepper sliced (I do for color a mixture of red and green)
Cover tightly and bake 350 degrees for 45 min and uncovered for 15 min or until chicken is done
Great served with rice.
Question. I bought 2 large boneless chicken breast halves weighing a total of 2 lbs. Would that be the equivalent of 4 chicken breasts bone in? They're rather large sized. Ok to cut them in half? I think I'll not halve the recipe since 2 lbs looks like quite a lot in boneless breasts.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:21 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Question. I bought 2 large boneless chicken breast halves weighing a total of 2 lbs. Would that be the equivalent of 4 chicken breasts bone in? They're rather large sized. Ok to cut them in half? I think I'll not halve the recipe since 2 lbs looks like quite a lot in boneless breasts.
Yes you can cut them. If they are really thick, you may want to pound them so that they are the same thickness all over the breast. They will cook more evenly if they are the same thickness all over. Only use what you need, freeze the rest.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:25 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

i'm not sure how well boneless skinless breasts would work with either of the recipes. i mean, they'd still be ok but i'd think they'd dry out.

i guess the sauce would make up for that to some degree.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:03 PM   #19
Head Chef

Thanks for the tip about making them equal size. They do taper off at the ends.

I wanted bone in chicken breasts for this recipe. The thing is, my nearest supermarket (Albertsons) only has these huge bone in split chicken breasts, 2 per pack. Whatever happened to modestly sized bone in chicken breasts? I mean, when I visit KFC or El Pollo Loco, their bone in chicken breasts are modestly sized, not gargantuate like the ones for sale at Albertson's. I'm going to Ralphs and then Vons (Safeway) supermarkets to see if I can buy modestly sized bone in chicken breasts. Boneless skinless are mostly what I see now in chicken breasts. And the bone in breasts are split chicken and are HUGE.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:22 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

yes, huge breasts are over rated.

ya still gotta love meaty thighs, though.

how do you feel about roasts? i'm a rump man, myself.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicken, pineapple