Pork with Red pepper relish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeff G.

Head Chef
Just got back from 4 days on the river. One of the meals is becoming a tradition. Roast pork with red pepper relish.

Once again a HUGE success. This time, 8lbs of pork Loin, 3 jars of red pepper relish, 5lbs potatoes(red potatoes, halved unpeeled), 3 lbs carrots, 2lb onion.

I placed the pork in a large throw away aluminum pan(double pans for strength), surrounded that with the potatoes, carrots, onion. Added salt, pepper, then poured the red pepper relish over that, added 2 cans diced tomatoes. I sealed that up with aluminum foil and place it directly on hot charcoal.

It cooked for 1.5-2hours (I use meat thermometer), at 145F I pulled it off and transferred the meat and veggies to a holding pan. I took the drippings added milk, water, spices and brought it up to a boil. I added corn starch thickening(corn starch dissolved in water) and slightly thickened the gravy to serve on the side. I had never made the gravy with this before. It is definitely an addition to the meal.

Along with that we had some great Tortilla soup, and curried mashed potatoes. There was just enough left for me to have meal of leftovers.
The only complaint I heard was "man I ate too much". I heard that from quite a few....

It was a fantastic meal, and realistically it only took 15 to 20 minutes to prepare it and get it on the fire.

"Man I ate to much" just thinking about it....Sounds good Jeff!

Did you do any fishin??
On this trip there really isn't much fishing that goes on. As a group traveling down the river, it becomes problematic.

I don't think it really mattered this time. From the people fishing we passed on the way down, nothing was biting.

Back
Top Bottom