"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Campfire & Dutch Oven Cooking

Old 09-05-2007, 04:51 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
This woman over 50 would like to stay in the cold
You and me both. You should check out the weather records for Moosehead Maine. Whenever it goes over 90 around here I check the weather in Moosehead. The way Uncle Bob cooks I can almost guarantee he won't be very thin by the time he turns 55. IMO, in Nova Scotia they'd be more inclined to use Quahog liqour instead of water to make the above described chowder

Old 09-05-2007, 07:05 PM   #12
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Awesome Garry! How did you cook the potatoes? Did you pre-cook them in another DO or on a stove stop? And I simply MUST try making biscuits. Thanks for posting this!

Old 09-05-2007, 08:25 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Looks delicious Garry, real stick to yours ribs type of food, great in the fall and winter.

Uncle Bob, trust me, one week in Maine in the winter around January or February would make anyone want to head south, including me!
Old 09-05-2007, 08:37 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
We need a long winter to get through the cold weather list! UB, do you think moving to Nova Scotia might be in order to accomplish this? It's mid 60's there now - we could be cooking this stuff TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks to all for the nice comments. Believe me, you won't regret trying this recipe.

We've already started our winter plans here in Yellowstone, so you don't need to move to Nova Scotia. Snow poles are being put out, some of the inns are already closed, summer employees are leaving, and we're expecting our first sub 30 degree tomorrow night. I'm looking for lots more of those good comfort food recipes! Got my eye on a corn chowder recipe, and I'll be doing some different ribs next Monday.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:06 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber
Uncle Bob, trust me, one week in Maine in the winter around January or February would make anyone want to head south, including me!
Miss Amber..

July, August, and September in Mississippi will make anyone want to head north to find a snow bank

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 10:01 PM   #16
Head Chef

All of you cold weather fans go to Fairbanks Alaska in January the last time I was there it was -72 below zero and forty mile an hour wind and I will personaly gaurantee you can not get warm I don't care how many blankets you pile on or how many dogs you sleep with.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:02 PM   #17
Head Chef

Uncle Bob try Grand Juntion in July 105-110 is the rule here it is September and it is still 90*F
Old 09-05-2007, 11:18 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltin View Post
Awesome Garry! How did you cook the potatoes? Did you pre-cook them in another DO or on a stove stop? And I simply MUST try making biscuits. Thanks for posting this!
Since I only have 2 dutch ovens right now, I was forced to boil the potatoes in a regular pot on my gas grill. But hey, it's still cooking outside, right!? And you want to cut up and cube the potatoes before you cook them. It's a lot easier that way.

These biscuits are really easy to make. The dough is VERY sticky, so you need to use 2 spoons to drop a ball of it into the dutch. Don't worry about how the balls look. The biscuits won't come out perfectly round with this kind of dough, but they sure come out light and fluffy. The only thing that I don't like about it, is that the center biscuit will get a bit darker on the bottom than the others because even though you may be rotating the DO, the center of the DO never really moves. When I make cut out biscuits, about 3/4's of the way done, I pull the center biscuit and one off the outer ring and switch their places. That way, all the biscuits get equally browned on the bottom.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:21 AM   #19
Senior Cook

You know, if you wanted to save some time cooking potatoes, you could use like a frozen hashbrown or potato chunks.

Just a thought.

-Brad
Old 09-06-2007, 11:21 AM   #20
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Thanks for the great tips Garry! Very valuable info! I can’t wait to try the biscuits and chowder.