Potato Bacon Chowder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Golfgar4

Senior Cook
We weren't able to cook last night, so we did a Dutch Oven Tuesday tonight.

I'd been looking for a good chowder or stew recipe, and I stumbled across this Potato Bacon Chowder. It looked easy and delicious. Keeping it simple, I also decided to make a batch of biscuits.

This is a fast, easy meal that would be great on a crisp, fall day after being outside all day.

Potato Bacon Chowder

8 slices of bacon, cut up
1 cup chopped onion
4 cups cooked and cubed potatoes
1 cup water
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 cup sour cream
1 ¾ cups milk
½ teaspoon salt
pepper

Fry bacon until crisp. Remove bacon and saute onion in drippings. Remove onion and drain on paper towel. To cooked, cubed potatoes add water, soup, sour cream, milk, seasonings, and cooked onion and bacon, saving some bacon to crumble on top. Simmer, do not boil.

Making GOOD Biscuits

Take some Bisquick and mix it up with enough water to make a dough that can be spooned out in biscuit size amounts. (This will take a little practice.) You usually can put 16 or so biscuits in a 12 inch oven. This size oven is good for biscuits. Each biscuit must be rolled in oil (that's what makes them brown), so add enough oil to your oven to very lightly coat each one as you add them to the oven. Don't worry about their being round. It won't matter. Just crowd them to use up your dough. Now we are ready to add heat. Start with 8 charcoals on the bottom and 12 or so on top. When the biscuits have raised and begin to look like biscuits, reduce the heat on the bottom by two charcoals and cook until the sides begin to pull away from the side of the oven. You will see, as they pull away, that they are also beginning to brown around the edges. When this happens, remove the bottom heat and continue to cook on top until they are as brown and crusty on top as you like them to be . The biscuits will take about 30 minutes. They are very easy to do; always a big hit at your cookout

Attachments

• Bacon & Potato1.JPG
    Bacon & Potato1.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 204
  • Bacon & Potato2.JPG
    Bacon & Potato2.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 208
  • Bacon & Potato3.JPG
    Bacon & Potato3.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 201
  • Bacon & Potato4.JPG
    Bacon & Potato4.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 215
  • Bacon & Potato5.JPG
    Bacon & Potato5.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 225
Yummy it looks good but of course anything with bacon it in has to be good.

I think it would also be good topped with some cheese on top.
parm or maybe a guyere,or even a asagio.

got to try this one thanks

Good job Garry! My cold weather list keeps growing!

We need a long winter to get through the cold weather list! UB, do you think moving to Nova Scotia might be in order to accomplish this? :LOL: It's mid 60's there now - we could be cooking this stuff TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
We need a long winter to get through the cold weather list! UB, do you think moving to Nova Scotia might be in order to accomplish this? :LOL: It's mid 60's there now - we could be cooking this stuff TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, Maybe Miss Amber (Maine) would rent us a room. Short term accomodations however. It can get too cold up there. This duck would be wantin to fly South!;)

This woman over 50 would like to stay in the cold :ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:
You and me both. You should check out the weather records for Moosehead Maine. Whenever it goes over 90 around here I check the weather in Moosehead. The way Uncle Bob cooks I can almost guarantee he won't be very thin by the time he turns 55. IMO, in Nova Scotia they'd be more inclined to use Quahog liqour instead of water to make the above described chowder

Last edited:
Awesome Garry! How did you cook the potatoes? Did you pre-cook them in another DO or on a stove stop? And I simply MUST try making biscuits. Thanks for posting this!

Looks delicious Garry, real stick to yours ribs type of food, great in the fall and winter.

Uncle Bob, trust me, one week in Maine in the winter around January or February would make anyone want to head south, including me!:LOL:

Thanks to all for the nice comments. Believe me, you won't regret trying this recipe.

We've already started our winter plans here in Yellowstone, so you don't need to move to Nova Scotia. Snow poles are being put out, some of the inns are already closed, summer employees are leaving, and we're expecting our first sub 30 degree tomorrow night. I'm looking for lots more of those good comfort food recipes! Got my eye on a corn chowder recipe, and I'll be doing some different ribs next Monday. ;) :rolleyes:

Amber said:
Uncle Bob, trust me, one week in Maine in the winter around January or February would make anyone want to head south, including me!:LOL:

Miss Amber..

July, August, and September in Mississippi will make anyone want to head north to find a snow bank:LOL:

All of you cold weather fans go to Fairbanks Alaska in January the last time I was there it was -72 below zero and forty mile an hour wind and I will personaly gaurantee you can not get warm I don't care how many blankets you pile on or how many dogs you sleep with.

Awesome Garry! How did you cook the potatoes? Did you pre-cook them in another DO or on a stove stop? And I simply MUST try making biscuits. Thanks for posting this!

Since I only have 2 dutch ovens right now, I was forced to boil the potatoes in a regular pot on my gas grill. But hey, it's still cooking outside, right!? :LOL: And you want to cut up and cube the potatoes before you cook them. It's a lot easier that way. ;)

These biscuits are really easy to make. The dough is VERY sticky, so you need to use 2 spoons to drop a ball of it into the dutch. Don't worry about how the balls look. The biscuits won't come out perfectly round with this kind of dough, but they sure come out light and fluffy. The only thing that I don't like about it, is that the center biscuit will get a bit darker on the bottom than the others because even though you may be rotating the DO, the center of the DO never really moves. When I make cut out biscuits, about 3/4's of the way done, I pull the center biscuit and one off the outer ring and switch their places. That way, all the biscuits get equally browned on the bottom.

You know, if you wanted to save some time cooking potatoes, you could use like a frozen hashbrown or potato chunks.

Just a thought.

-Brad

Back
Top Bottom