- 1 pound Owens sausage, hot style
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, minced (or more to taste)
- ½ red bell pepper, minced
- 4 corn tortillas cut into ½-inch strips
- 8 eggs, beat until well combined
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 large, ripe tomato, chopped
- ¾-cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 corn tortillas cut into ¾-inch strips for topping.
In large, lightly greased, heavy skillet brown the sausage, breaking it up. When the sausage is done, add the onion, garlic, jalapeno and bell pepper. Stir and cook until the onion is transparent. The peppers will be a little crunchy. Add black pepper and chili powder, and combine well. Add tortilla strips and cook until they are limp. Pour in the eggs and stir until they are done.
Add the tomato and cheese and stir until cheese combines with the rest of the ingredients. Check for taste, and add salt as needed.
In a separate pan, fry tortilla strips in oil until golden brown and crisp. Drain on paper towels. Top servings with fried tortilla strips. Have picante sauce available for those needing extra spice.
For variety you may substitute cooked, chopped ham for sausage, or use half and half.