Seasoning lard for the Dutch Oven?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chile Chef

Sous Chef
I've deiced on the 5-7 quart D.O with the 3 legs, and I have another question?

When picking out lard to smear on the your new DUTCH Oven? Do you want to get a pricey one? Or the best tasting one?

I was thinking if they have it to buy bacon lard, and use bacon lard to season my dutch oven with.

Any tips or 2 cent's would be helpful.

justplainbill said:
It oxidizes (& turns into carbon) more quickly?

I'll take your word on it for now...

justplainbill said:
It's what was used when Cast Iron was in its heyday?

Along with whale blubber, bear, buffalo and bacon fat, .. as well as a little 'possum grease...Not many Kroger stores selling Crisco along the Oregon trail...:LOL:

I'll take your word on it for now...

Along with whale blubber, bear, buffalo and bacon fat, .. as well as a little 'possum grease...Not many Kroger stores selling Crisco along the Oregon trail...:LOL:

Don't think they even had Spry. I've seen a photo of one of your frying pans, UB. Looked nicely seasoned but suspiciously shiny.:smartass:

my mom had a small ci frying pan maybe 4" in diam. that she would fry over easy eggs in without any fat/oil. they would slide right out. the surface of that pan looked like black polished glass from years of care.

Don't think using a salty fat is especially desirable. We use peanut oil.

Certainly do not use bacon fat

May I suggest Mutton or Lamb fat trimmings, reduce the trimmings yourself and season your pan with this, continually wipe the fat around the pan over heat until you are satisfied it is sealed. If you are going to use a bought oil or lard they all have some additive in them, be it good or bad.

Thanks guys and gals, I think I'm just going to buy a seasoned one.
you still have to season after each use. preseasoned just means they did the first seasoning and baking on for you. you still have to maintain it. after awhile it will be very slick. my mom's tiny CI egg frying pan looked like polished black glass after years of seasoning. she cooked eggs with little or no oil/fat and they slide right out of the pan.

you still have to season after each use. preseasoned just means they did the first seasoning and baking on for you. you still have to maintain it. after awhile it will be very slick. my mom's tiny CI egg frying pan looked like polished black glass after years of seasoning. she cooked eggs with little or no oil/fat and they slide right out of the pan.
Thank you for the info MsM.

I will make sure I season it every use, Does this go for the cast iron pan I have too?

Thank you for the info MsM.

I will make sure I season it every use, Does this go for the cast iron pan I have too?
you're welcome and season ALL CI.

i have tiny CI butter warmers that i use for ash trays those i don't season LOL but i don't get them wet and just scrap if need be.

years ago I got the family Griswolds (3 of them!) but I wanted a DO so I bought a Wagner chicken fryer and a Lodge DO. Both were before preseasoning was thought of. Both said the best way to season your pan was to cook bacon in it every day for a month. Well being impatient I used lard. Worked just fine.

To this day, folks who have Griswolds know how smooth they are compared to any other cast iron out there. And I know that my greatgrandmother didn't use peaniut oil. She used beef or pork fat. (not that peanut oil is bad.)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom