Trying to picture how this is done

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

legend_018

Head Chef
ok happen to reading some blogs and at one point I came across someone who said there favorite camping food was caramelized onions, warm deli ham, and good blue cheese melted on a bagel toasted over a camp fire.

I can't picture how this is done? The only thing I know how to do at a camp fire is put marshmellows on a stick "lol".

Cut the ham slices into eggs noodle width pieces. Warm the pre-carmelised onions and ham in a foil packet in/on/near the fire. Toast the bagel the same way you toast marshmallows. Assemble:
Bagel, onions, then ham and blue cheese. I would eat open faced like bagels and lox.

As an aside this a fairly common NW pizza combo and totally yummy.

Last edited:
ummm, put a grate on the grill, place the bagel on the grate.
or use one of those campfire sandwich things
or a wire basket with the stuff in between the bagel slices
or on a griddle placed on top of the grill

I was thinking more on the lines of making a sandwich if hungry at night and won't have access to anything other than an open fire that people are sitting around. I never cooked anything on an open fire and didn't want to go out and spend lots of money just so I can cook on an open fire. I'm sure I could of figured out how it's done. I'm not a camping professional. I know it's hard to even cook marshmellows on a stick because the fire is so hot!! LOL. Thanks for the ideas, I'll figure something out if I decided to make myself a midnight snack.

Cooking over an open fire is a tremendous amount of fun. True, it takes some practice, but the skills learned will serve you well. Especially during extended times of no power...(usually due to hurricanes in these parts.) One more reason to keep cast iron cookware in the house.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom