Unusual Solution That Works

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Golfgar4

Senior Cook
I was faced with that dilemma of having to use a 10" skillet to bake a potato dish that required top heat. The problem is that the lid of the skillet is domed, so you can't get too many coals on top. I recalled a past discussion about creating a "dam" out of aluminum foil that would ring the lid and hold the coals in place. So I figured I'd try that method.

But my good friend Ken had another idea. As we were preparing to start cooking, he said he'd be back in a few minutes and ran off. Just about the time I needed to start cooking with the skillet, he returned with his solution to the lid problem. I must admit that I was a little skeptical, but we tried it and it worked. The really good thing about the idea is that we're recycling, and nobody complained about how we have to get the materials to make the dam.

He's calling it The Charcoal Beer Can Band. And he also wants everyone to know that the patent is pending! :LOL:

Attachments

• Coke Chick2.JPG
    Coke Chick2.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 192
  • Coke Chick3.JPG
    Coke Chick3.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 181
  • Coke Chick6.JPG
    Coke Chick6.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 183
Katie E said:
Wonderful, Garry. How are the cans held together? From what I see in the photo, looks like there are some screws/rivets.

Good eyes, Katie!

Ken used some drywall screws he had laying around. The only problem with that is that you have to be VERY careful where you grab the dam to pick it up, or you might just get "vaccinated"! :LOL:

bowlingshirt said:
The best part is drinking the beer to empty the cans :cool:

That's what everyone tells me. But to be honest, I haven't been much of a beer drinker since I was in college. I can handle about 1 beer per sitting. Luckily, I have friends that enjoy more than that! :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom