"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Campfire & Dutch Oven Cooking

Old 08-02-2005, 09:58 PM   #11
Head Chef

If fishing is on your agenda, you could try Trout on a Stick. Hubby went fishing/camping over the weekend. This was part of his supper. We love these little brook trout. We think they taste so much better than the big boys!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tos 5.JPG
Views:	307
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	264  

callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 10:15 PM   #12
Chief Eating Officer

I'll bet that tasted delicious callie!

Old 08-02-2005, 10:36 PM   #13
Head Chef

Ok if I must say there is nothing more important then a fresh pot of brewed coffee on an open fire. And don't forget the bacon and eggs. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Good!

- WOODROW WILSON
tweedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 10:37 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Ooo that makes me want to go camping again, its been so long. My prob is conning hubby into it
naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 01:05 AM   #15
Hospitality Queen

But what about the s'mores?

Isn't that a camping requirement?
Old 08-03-2005, 06:07 AM   #16
Head Chef

We make a dessert in which you place a banana cut lengthwise on a piece of foil then put some pieces of cut up mars bar and a couple of marshmallows on top, wrap lightly and place in the hot coals for about 15 minutes. YUM
Old 08-03-2005, 07:26 AM   #17
Senior Cook

Your menu already sounds fabulous. My husband and I never cook over a campfire. Since we have a motor home, with a built in microwave, I always preprepare frozen entrees at home and just nuke at meal times. This way, we technically have homemade foods. Of course, this doesn't work for breakfast, so mostly we will have bacon or sausage, eggs, and English muffins. I don't actually "cook" in the motor home, but rather use a George Foreman grill outdoors or an electric fry pan outdoors, and, of course, the inside microwave. Desserts are not always a must, but I will often bring along something baked at home, ice cream, and Entermanns. Although I love to cook at home, when camping mealtimes are not lengthy prep affairs for me. We still eat basically the same as at home, but the real work has already been done at home. My husband likes to say we don't really "camp", but go RVing. So, where is this camping group headed? Hope you all have a great time.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:42 AM   #18
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to smokinhoney
Talking omelettes ala ez for camping

take some ziplock bags freezer small ones add two eggs and all the ingredients for an omelette . Use a large pot of boiling water and drop in for 2 minutes and wa la everyone has there own omelette ez no dishes great for camping. may have to adjust a bit to time but generally around 2-3 minutes
Old 08-03-2005, 02:28 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

I remember many years ago when we went camping I would triple wrap in foil a chuck roast with raw onions, garlic and bellpeppers. I would place the pkg securely under the hood jammed between the engine block and manifold after an at least a three hour trip to the site and "pitching" the tents I would surprise the crowd with a hot roast, It sure beat trying to cook after the long trip.
I don't even know if the modern cars have a suitable space, but if they do the roast will be a winner..
Good luck...
EXPAT
Old 08-03-2005, 03:47 PM   #20
Cook

Send a message via AIM to Gerrycooks
Camping veggies

Shake your vegggies, zucchini, eggplant, sweet onion,
Peppers,in a plastic bag containing Balsamic vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, dried oregano, salt pepper, garlic. Place on grill. Serve with grilled pizzas and your favorite cheese.
I even roast them in the oven at home at 400 degrees.
They are good with pasta and a can of fire roasted tomatos.

For potatos use medium red skins quartered. Place in bag with same seasonings as above but add some paprika and roast.

Fireside pies Get pie irons in a camping store. Butter inside and place a slice of sandwich bread in one side of iron top with pie filling. Place another slice of bread on top and close iron and place over fire. You can also make pizzas using your favorite ingredients.

You sound very energetic to plan all those meals. Take me with you. I miss camping.