"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Campfire & Dutch Oven Cooking

Old 06-07-2015, 01:22 AM   #41
Assistant Cook

Biscuits and bacon and eggs over the campfire, and coffee in the pot!

Old 10-06-2015, 03:35 PM   #42
Assistant Cook

Dutch Oven Chicken

Dutch Oven Chicken

1 hours | 15 min prep | SERVES 6

I cook this every year at deer camp

Ingredients
1 whole chicken, cut up
3-4 medium potatoes, cubed
1 large onion, quartered
3-4 carrots, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
flour (for dredging)

1 (8 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
1-12 oz.. can beer
salt and pepper
1/4 cup oil

Directions

preheat oil in Dutch oven over hot coals.

dredge chicken in seasoned flour and brown in dutch oven

after chicken is brown add veggies,garlic.

add 1/2 the beer.

cover and place in oven for 30 minutes. add coals to top of oven as needed
after 30 minutes add the soup and cook another 30 minutes or until everything is done.

Old 10-06-2015, 04:46 PM   #43
Certified Cake Maniac

Salmon done over an open fire
Breakfast (sausages, bacon, eggs, etc. taste so much better outdoors!)
Burgers

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 02:03 AM   #44
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by panner50 View Post
Dutch Oven Chicken
Sounds not fussy at all to make, and tasty too, thanks!

Except maybe the heating part, how hot a fire or coals. That probably takes a little experience.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:37 AM   #45
Senior Cook

For camping during hunting season there's usually four of us. It's now the only time we 'camp'.
All with big appetites.
This may sound like lots of work but it isn't:
A big pot of boiled potatoes. Another pot of par boiled carrots and onions.
A big pot of brown gravy made at home and kept on dry ice in the cooler until used. I usually make up about 2 gallons.
Some extremely quick-fry prime rib venison steaks/chops/tenderloins etc. The frying is really just to change the color as we all prefer wild game 'blue'.
I hedge my bets by bringing along frozen venison or elk or moose from previous hunting trips contributed by myself and the other hunters.
I bring along a few parted out' Canada geese and use the pieces in a big cassoulet.
Large china hot plates. Food all served up steaming hot with loads of bread and butter on the side. And mugs of Crown Royal or Hennessy's.
We bring along proper tables to eat and cook on. China plates. Sterling silver flatware. Glass drinking glasses. China coffee mugs.
Our intent is to live as civilly a hundred miles from nowhere as at our homes.
We pretty much always shoot something. That evening I'll quick fry some of the heart and liver and tenderloin. With a deer we'll eat everything. With an elk or moose we'll only get through some of it.
Then we'll draw straws to see who gets to take home the remainder of the organ meat.
Add this to a campfire comfortable folding chairs and good friends and it doesn't get any better.
We all spent our early young hunting years living 'wet-arsed' eating cold tinned beans and freezing standing around a fire we couldn't seem to get going.
Now we are 'gentlemen' hunters.
We don't even start the fire in the morning. We each make our own lunch for the next day the night before and we're out of the camp before sun-up. I usually boil a pot of water to which I add a couple of T's of BTB beef stock. Drop a large handful of uncooked macaroni into a thermos. Top up with the boiling hot BTB now beef broth/soup. Great for a hot drink at lunch and a good 'carbo-hit'.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:04 PM   #46
Master Chef

What a fun read! I'd not seen this thread before. Himself and I camped before kids, and except for breakfasts we'd usually eat out. Camping, for us, was more a cheap form of lodging rather than a lifestyle. There was this time in the Shenandoah Valley when we went into the tent wearing shorts and t-shirts and came out all dressed up - Himself in a suit and tie and I in a long dress.

Then we had kids, and took them camping. Not much changed, except for the fancy clothing. In a week's time, we probably ate supper at the camp only twice each trip out.

Then I became a Girl Scout leader. Everything was cooked out! Everything tasted gourmet! The girls learned to build fires, make a camping oven from an old 3# coffee can, and cook just about anything. Our all-time favorite food? Campfire Banana Boats. Bananas, marshmallows, chocolate - how can you not love it! We'd cut the stem off, slit the banana right through the skin and nearly all the way to the other side, then stuff with said marshmallows and chocolate pieces. Wrap each one in foil and toss it on top of the fire while you ate your supper. Finish your meal, fish your packet out of the fire, and try to be patient until it cooled off enough to open it up. It's been years since I've had one of those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
I ...I just love Camper Pies....By this time it was dark and we sat around the campfire and cooked our own little pies. Wow were they hot when they came out of the irons!...
"Hot pie iron, hot pie iron coming through!" is the cry that would go up around the fire when our daughter went camping with her second troop. I was a leader only through Brownies, and her new leader was a young, single woman who took our daughter and eleven other girls on a lifetime of adventures in eight years of scouts. I Jennifer to this day for all the experiences she gave our girl.
Old 10-10-2015, 12:15 AM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire

My favorite camping food? The breakfast buffet at the hotel...
Old 10-10-2015, 12:40 AM   #48
Master Chef

I have such good memories of camping - my parents took my brother and I all over the southwest on tent camping trips. Whenever my dad got a vacation from work, we went camping. I was in my teens when we stayed in a motel for the first time.

Food was whatever we brought from home, my dad wasn't into fishing. But when we went with my grandparents, we always went fishing for our dinners. Whatever we had always tasted better to me in the great outdoors.
Old 10-10-2015, 11:08 AM   #49
Executive Chef

All they ever fed us was C-rations! That's why I don't go camping.
Old 10-10-2015, 12:21 PM   #50
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
My favorite camping food? The breakfast buffet at the hotel...
That's my answer these days too.

In the old days, we did a lot of "camper" camping while water skiing. Those were some of the best days of my life with my young family. We often camped at Shaver Lake, and the campground was owned by Edison power company. Because of that, there was an electric outlet at every covered camp table. Most mornings I'd set my crock pot on the table and we'd come "home" from skiing at the end of the day to find chipmunks standing on their back legs smelling the crock pot. It sure was nice to have dinner all ready after a long day of water skiing!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote