"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Campfire & Dutch Oven Cooking

Old 10-10-2015, 01:05 PM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I camped a lot in my teens and 20ís. I loved camping at the annual Winnipeg Folk Festival. Plenty of food stands with good stuff, along with fantastic music.

Nowadays, I'm also in the "breakfast buffet at the hotel" camp!

Old 10-10-2015, 07:21 PM   #52
Master Chef

We've moved up to the "camping at the Holiday Inn" group, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
...my parents took my brother and I all over the southwest on tent camping trips...
My Dad refused to camp. He said he slept in a tent enough times when he was in the Army. My first time camping was with a guy buddy of mine when my girlfriend backed out of camping three days before we were supposed to leave! Since I was borrowing his tent and his girlfriend's brother's sleeping bags I asked if he wanted to go in her place. He said "sure" - he was in college and would be between his summer job and heading back to school. Worst. Vacation. Ever. He slept until noon, and we spent a lot of time driving backroads in the dark. Swore I would never go on vacation with a guy again, unless he was my hubby. So what do I do? I marry someone JUST like my buddy...sleeps until noon, drives at night. Can't win for losing!

Old 10-10-2015, 11:21 PM   #53
Head Chef

We just bought a pop-up camper to start taking trips with next year. Nothing too fancy, but it does have fridge, gas cooktop (no oven), and heater, including heated queen size beds.

I don't expect much dutch oven cooking though. Neither of us has any experience with it in a camp style setting, and to be honest, they are harder to use when you have nothing but soft woods for firewood. Putting pine coals on the lid for baking takes a lot of attention because the coals just don't last very long. Then too, for much of the summer, open fires are prohibited in much of the west, and the fire danger even gets bad enough that they don't allow charcoal. It's gas or nothing, and the camper has a gas grill that you hang on the outside wall for grilling.
Old 10-10-2015, 11:46 PM   #54
Head Chef

Old camping saying..."First one up makes breakfast!"
Old 10-12-2015, 04:14 PM   #55
Master Chef

Army supply caned meat mix with cooke dnoodles, elborony are great, but any kind will do.
Old 10-12-2015, 04:39 PM   #56
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
That's my answer these days too.

In the old days, we did a lot of "camper" camping while water skiing. Those were some of the best days of my life with my young family. We often camped at Shaver Lake, and the campground was owned by Edison power company. Because of that, there was an electric outlet at every covered camp table. Most mornings I'd set my crock pot on the table and we'd come "home" from skiing at the end of the day to find chipmunks standing on their back legs smelling the crock pot. It sure was nice to have dinner all ready after a long day of water skiing!
Ha! That's hilarious about the chipmunks!

Shaver Lake is just above where my dad lives in Auberry, CA. I've been there, but we eat out or go back to his house for dinner
Old 10-12-2015, 08:31 PM   #57
Master Chef

Kay...we were water skiiers back in the day, too...what wonderful memories! And a great way to work up a huge appetite. I'd probably break my neck if I tried it again these days.

Have fun with your new pop-up camper, RP! Gosh, I really do miss camping whether it's in a tent or camper. We've even just used sleeping bags and built a rough lean-to for shelter back in the day. Good memories.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:01 PM   #58
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

What's your favorite camp meal?

My dad was a great water skier back in the day. He even wore me around his neck when I was a toddler! This was back before life jackets were required.

I was a horrid water skier, even as a teen...
Old 10-12-2015, 09:26 PM   #59
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Kay...we were water skiiers back in the day, too...what wonderful memories! And a great way to work up a huge appetite. I'd probably break my neck if I tried it again these days.

Have fun with your new pop-up camper, RP! Gosh, I really do miss camping whether it's in a tent or camper. We've even just used sleeping bags and built a rough lean-to for shelter back in the day. Good memories.
Sort of like me wanting to take up bike riding again. The fact that it has been more than 40 years since I was on one, shouldn't stop me. Middle ear problems and vertigo shouldn't be a problem either. And how do I tell the cop I am on narcotic medications for pain? I think I will stick to my three wheel electric scooter. The world is a safer place if I do that.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:15 AM   #60
Master Chef

Quote:
Kay...we were water skiiers back in the day, too...I'd probably break my neck if I tried it again these days...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
...I was a horrid water skier, even as a teen...
I snow skied during the front half of my 20s - which accounts for my crap knees nowadays. A friend of mine decided to teach me to water ski. We were at her family's lot at a small resort in OH, her brother put their boat into the water...and I could not get my butt out of the water no matter how fast or slow he went. I told Mo that snow skiing was easier since I was already upright!