"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Campfire & Dutch Oven Cooking

Old 10-13-2015, 01:40 PM   #61
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I snow skied during the front half of my 20s - which accounts for my crap knees nowadays. A friend of mine decided to teach me to water ski. We were at her family's lot at a small resort in OH, her brother put their boat into the water...and I could not get my butt out of the water no matter how fast or slow he went. I told Mo that snow skiing was easier since I was already upright!
Actually back in the day, single water skiing was about the only athletic thing I was really good at doing. Our group would even set up our own slalom course, and practice for hours, as my crock pot was doing it's thing back at camp. I wish I had you with us CG, as I never failed teaching both kids and adults how to water ski.
I never was tempted to snow ski from fear of falling. Besides, I like water a lot more than snow.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 02:18 PM   #62
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
Old camping saying..."First one up makes breakfast!"
For me, that's just more incentive to stay in bed

Old 10-13-2015, 02:33 PM   #63
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

What's your favorite camp meal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Actually back in the day, single water skiing was about the only athletic thing I was really good at doing. Our group would even set up our own slalom course, and practice for hours, as my crock pot was doing it's thing back at camp. I wish I had you with us CG, as I never failed teaching both kids and adults how to water ski.
I never was tempted to snow ski from fear of falling. Besides, I like water a lot more than snow.

First time waterskiing, I got up, then went down. I didn't realize that I was supposed to drop the rope, and kept yelling for my dad to stop the boat in between breaths and mouthfuls of water. I also almost lost the bottom of my swimsuit another time. The ski belt was too big, and kept pushing it south.

My attempts at snow skiing were also pathetic. I fell, and stabbed myself in the chest with my ski pole. Bent it in half.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:04 PM   #64
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
First time waterskiing, I got up, then went down. I didn't realize that I was supposed to drop the rope, and kept yelling for my dad to stop the boat in between breaths and mouthfuls of water. I also almost lost the bottom of my swimsuit another time. The ski belt was too big, and kept pushing it south.

My attempts at snow skiing were also pathetic. I fell, and stabbed myself in the chest with my ski pole. Bent it in half.
Bad Daddy! Yep, the first thing you tell a student is to drop the rope if you fall, and put your arm thumbs up to signal you're ok. I actually lost the bottom of my suit to my knees once. Boy did I let go of that rope fast. That's when I started wearing a one piece suit or a summer wet suit.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 03:18 PM   #65
Master Chef

After that nearly happening to me once as well, it was one piece suits from then on! For some reason I really took to water skiing easily, and after a couple of times on doubles and getting the hang of it, found singles SO much easier and lots more fun. Snow skiing was another story - I went with my friends one time up to Mammoth because they kept telling me if I could water ski, I could snow ski. I didn't find that to be true. Even in a class on the bunny slope, I was a total klutz. But like Kay, I like water more than snow.

As far as cooking, I don't remember having outlets near the lakes to plug in a crock pot - maybe up at the Colorado River, but not locally. That would have been nice. We usually used a Coleman propane stove, a hibachi, or one of the bbq grills at camp. Still good eats, though!
Old 10-13-2015, 03:21 PM   #66
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Bad Daddy! Yep, the first thing you tell a student is to drop the rope if you fall, and put your arm thumbs up to signal you're ok. I actually lost the bottom of my suit to my knees once. Boy did I let go of that rope fast. That's when I started wearing a one piece suit or a summer wet suit.

Oh yeah, one piece only!

I also had a male friend take off skiing from the dock, but his shorts caught on it. We got to see the moon that day...
Old 10-13-2015, 03:31 PM   #67
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
After that nearly happening to me once as well, it was one piece suits from then on! For some reason I really took to water skiing easily, and after a couple of times on doubles and getting the hang of it, found singles SO much easier and lots more fun. Snow skiing was another story - I went with my friends one time up to Mammoth because they kept telling me if I could water ski, I could snow ski. I didn't find that to be true. Even in a class on the bunny slope, I was a total klutz. But like Kay, I like water more than snow.

As far as cooking, I don't remember having outlets near the lakes to plug in a crock pot - maybe up at the Colorado River, but not locally. That would have been nice. We usually used a Coleman propane stove, a hibachi, or one of the bbq grills at camp. Still good eats, though!

My dad would tell me to drop a ski and do slalom. I never got that good, though. A lot of friends were world-class water skiers.

I too prefer water to snow.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:47 PM   #68
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Oh yeah, one piece only!

I also had a male friend take off skiing from the dock, but his shorts caught on it. We got to see the moon that day...
Sounds like you had some entertaining times out on the lakes, Dawg!
Old 10-13-2015, 04:07 PM   #69
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Sounds like you had some entertaining times out on the lakes, Dawg!

Shhhhh. What happens on LOTW, stays on LOTW.*

*Lake of the Woods
Old 10-18-2015, 08:27 PM   #70
Assistant Cook

Cereal for breakfast, bread and spam for lunch and mi goreng for dinner. Can't go wrong haha