"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Campfire & Dutch Oven Cooking

Old 10-26-2015, 09:26 PM   #71
Sous Chef

Breakfast Burritos, Sardines for lunch, and steak for dinner.

Old 10-28-2015, 10:48 AM   #72
Head Chef

We camped a lot growing up.
the bacon in the morning was always a welcome wake up.
then has to be either beef stew that mom had cooking all day or my dad Bq chicken. The smell of the chicken drifted through out the campground. People became very friendly that day.

Old 04-04-2016, 07:58 AM   #73
Senior Cook

Being a frost-bitten Canadian boy, I have to go with fresh-caught walleye, cooked on the open fire... fried spuds, baked beans and bannock.

Someone beat that classic sample of northern ruggedtivity!
Old 04-05-2016, 02:15 PM   #74
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rugged Dude View Post
Being a frost-bitten Canadian boy, I have to go with fresh-caught walleye, cooked on the open fire... fried spuds, baked beans and bannock.

Someone beat that classic sample of northern ruggedtivity!
Take that fish fillet, and fried round slices of spud, slap 'em between two slices of whole wheat, or rye bread, with a little ketchup and you will have what me and my best friend used to eat while camping and fishing in the St. Mary's river, just south of Sault Ste. Marie, Ont. We lived on the U.S. side of the river but were a stone's throw away from the border. We used whatever we caught, i.e. rock bass, small mouth bass, yellow perch, walleye, etc.

If we went brook trout fishing, those beauties had to be cleaned and fried up without embellishments, just dredge them in flour, and fry until golden brown. Season with salt. That's a meal to remember for its simplicity, and that amazing brookie flavor with the orange meat of wild vs. planted fish.

Those were good days.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 02:36 PM   #75
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Take that fish fillet, and fried round slices of spud, slap 'em between two slices of whole wheat, or rye bread, with a little ketchup and you will have what me and my best friend used to eat while camping and fishing in the St. Mary's river, just south of Sault Ste. Marie, Ont. We lived on the U.S. side of the river but were a stone's throw away from the border. We used whatever we caught, i.e. rock bass, small mouth bass, yellow perch, walleye, etc.

If we went brook trout fishing, those beauties had to be cleaned and fried up without embellishments, just dredge them in flour, and fry until golden brown. Season with salt. That's a meal to remember for its simplicity, and that amazing brookie flavor with the orange meat of wild vs. planted fish.

Those were good days.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Hey, Chief!

Great story!! I lived on St. Joseph Island for one year back in 1990... so, we've fished the same waters... great fishing in the channel. You never knew what you'd catch! I remember one time, fishing at night for walleyes... I hooked into a huge sucker. Must have been 7 or 8 pounds. Until I saw it, I figured I broke the world record for Ontario walleye. That bugger fought like a SOB!

Back he went...
Old 04-05-2016, 04:51 PM   #76
Senior Cook

Sweet, you can't beat a fish fry when camping, that's for sure.
Here is a coho fillet I did up on the North Island (B.C.) a few
years ago. I improvised and made a tent of aluminum foil for
the alder smoke and the cedar plank I split, with the axe, from
fire wood left by the forest company. My specially is a camp fire
paella and will have to hunt for a picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	######Cedar Plank Salmon.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	24538  
Old 04-05-2016, 05:13 PM   #77
Master Chef

I wanna go back in time until I'm 15 years old again, back in 1970, with my freind, or any of you guys or gals, with my stepdad's 14 food SeaKing boat with the 21 horse SeaKing motor. With my balance, I could go onto the river with very choppy water, and know that I would not capsize. I simply shifted my weight to the motion of the boat. Those were days that nobody ever forgets, good times, no great responsibilities, and just enough pocket cash for gas for the car, and the boat, having to sometimes siphon gas from the car to fill the little carry-on tank for the boat.

Yep, when I pass from this life, I'm going to ask for the 20 year old model for my resurrected self.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 05:20 PM   #78
Senior Cook

I'd love to be able get in my canoe with out falling over or tipping the darn thing.

Here is a camp paella I made a few years ago by Mahatta River.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	####Camp Paella 2006.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	174.2 KB
ID:	24539  
Old 04-05-2016, 06:36 PM   #79
Senior Cook

I do a breakfast scramble on the cast iron over the campfire. I cube up some taters and some peppers/onions and throw 'em in and get them well on their way to getting cooked, then I throw in some cut up bacon, and then towards the end I toss in some eggs and then mix it all together in a "breakfast scramble". Served with hot cowboy coffee.
Old 04-05-2016, 06:41 PM   #80
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
I wanna go back in time until I'm 15 years old again, back in 1970, with my freind, or any of you guys or gals, with my stepdad's 14 food SeaKing boat with the 21 horse SeaKing motor. With my balance, I could go onto the river with very choppy water, and know that I would not capsize. I simply shifted my weight to the motion of the boat. Those were days that nobody ever forgets, good times, no great responsibilities, and just enough pocket cash for gas for the car, and the boat, having to sometimes siphon gas from the car to fill the little carry-on tank for the boat.

Yep, when I pass from this life, I'm going to ask for the 20 year old model for my resurrected self.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
What a beautiful memory. My stepdad also had a boat when I was a kid in the 1970's/1980's. He had a 20 foot 1960ish boat with the little steering wheel/console, and it had a Chrysler Marine outboard. He had a smaller Mercury outboard as a backup. Good times! It was fun getting to drive it.