"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Campfire & Dutch Oven Cooking

Old 08-17-2012, 12:55 PM   #1
Master Chef

What's your favorite camp meal?

Which is your favorite camping meal, breakfast, lunch, or dinner. And what's your favorite at that meal? My favorite is breakfast, and my favorite breakfast at camp is pancakes and bacon. I like sausage better than bacon. But the smell of bacon over a campfire, in the morning, is simply irresistable. I really like scrambled eggs over a camp fire too.

For dinner, there is no better aroma than chicken soup. But my favorite camp dinner is fresh caught and cleaned brook trout, pan fried, with maybe some fried potato slices.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:59 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Mornin's are great in camp. The smell of smoke, blended with coffee and bacon. Hard to beat! But I gotta agree with the fresh caught fish. Not too much is finer for lunch or supper.

Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:21 PM   #3
Master Chef

I love the smell of camp smoke in the morning.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:30 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Camping Out: The only time, we have ever camped out was on El Camino Santiago, which as you know, is the Santiago Saint James Walk through Spain ... We took the Portugal Route the first time, the coastal highway ... It was springtime ... I was a bit nervous, since I had never slept under the stars ... close to an 11 th century Monastery.

None the less, the freshly caught fish seared on flame of fire is best recorded in my olfactory. The next town at sunset, was a Hotel for the Manhattaner !

Good Post.
Have nice August.
Margaux.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:54 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Favorite camp breakfast, pancakes or biscuits and sausage. Not really a coffee person. Favorite dinner is fresh speared, blackened black grouper and grilled lobster. The Keys have campgrounds with boat ramps. Sadly more and more areas are becoming no spearfishing zones.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:51 AM   #6
Head Chef

I'm gonna fall back on the old saying, "everything tastes better when it's cooked in the rugged outdoors."

If I had to choose, freshly caught fish or any food item that wasn't brought along for the trip.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:11 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Oops. Maybe I don't belong here. My favorite camping dinner is a can of New England bake beans and hot dogs where the weiners are cooked on a stick over hot coals. My favorite breakfast was fried salmon steaks from a salmon that was caught the day before; it was my dad who caught the salmon, not me.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:09 PM   #8
Half Baked

My best ever was a dinner I cooked after visiting Pikes market in Seattle. We were camped in the rain forest and I purchased some fresh lemon pasta and we grilled some fresh lobsters along with baby vegetables.

Our last trip I made skillet potatoes with chorizo and some scrambled eggs. Most mornings just consist of whole grain bread with peanut butter and coffee.I have not had trout and eggs for years but that was pretty good.

Lunch while camping is usually salumi and cheeses and maybe some olives.We just snack for lunch.

Dinner is my favorite and we like to make Carne Asada tacos or Chicken tacos at least once most trips.

If we leaving the campsite all day we use the slow cooker for stews or meatballs so we aren't rushed when we get back.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:34 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4meandthem View Post
My best ever was a dinner I cooked after visiting Pikes market in Seattle. We were camped in the rain forest and I purchased some fresh lemon pasta and we grilled some fresh lobsters along with baby vegetables.

Our last trip I made skillet potatoes with chorizo and some scrambled eggs. Most mornings just consist of whole grain bread with peanut butter and coffee.I have not had trout and eggs for years but that was pretty good.

Lunch while camping is usually salumi and cheeses and maybe some olives.We just snack for lunch.

Dinner is my favorite and we like to make Carne Asada tacos or Chicken tacos at least once most trips.

If we leaving the campsite all day we use the slow cooker for stews or meatballs so we aren't rushed when we get back.
I'd love a Carne Asada burito or taco (taco has to be made on fresh corn tortilla) right not. Alas, I'm trying to behave myself and lose some weight. I can just taste good Carne Asada when camping. That would be sooooo good. That might even beat out fresh caught Brookies, but then again, have you ever had the fish and foil-wrapped it with a bit of butter, sliced carrots, sliced potato, and onion? It's incredible. Now I can't decide what is my favorite camp supper. Oh, I know! It's whatever is cooked over the fire.

Oh, and D'Merry; there is absolutely nothing wrong with beans and hot dogs while camping. I'd eat that if I had to heat the beans in the can. I love beans and hot dogs. And yes, the hot dog has to be speared on an appropriate pointy stick, made pointy with a pocket knife. And then the stick can be reused for making camp biscuits, and roasted marshmallows.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:47 PM   #10
Executive Chef

When we were kids, Dad got tired of hot dogs on a stick, tired of hot dogs period, something us kids couldn't eat enough of. Mom made hamberger- hot dogs. Possibly a meatloaf recipe, rolled in corn flakes or wheaties, and formed around green willow sticks. Dad liked them better, so we had them a lot. We didn't have to go camping. We had plenty of summer backyard fires. Night time always ended with S'mores and toasted marshmallows.
--
As an adult camper, I like scramble eggs, bacon and poatoes fried in bacon grease. And the mixture of fresh air, smoky fire smells, cooking smells and pine or woodsy smells. Wish you could bottle that and take it with you.