"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 10-27-2009, 08:31 PM   #1
Everymom

Alix's Lemon Pie

Use either a shortbread crust (1 cup butter, 1/2 cup sugar, 2 cups flour) that has been baked a bit (10 minutes or so) or a blind baked pie shell.

1 cup sugar
3 tbsp cornstarch
1 cup BOILING water
1 tbsp butter
2 eggs (separated)
1 lemon (4 tbsp juice, about 2 tsp zest)

Mix cornstarch and sugar, pour in the boiling water. Beat the egg yolks together in a pot and slowly pour in the hot sugar water mixture. (Beat FAST so the eggs don't cook) Cook this on medium heat til thick. Add lemon juice and butter at the end and pour into pie shell.

Make meringue (add 1 tbsp of sugar to the egg whites and beat til stiff) and put on top of pie. Brown under broiler for a couple of minutes til meringue is golden.

Alix's notes: I add a LOT more zest to this recipe. I like it very lemony. You can add some more lemon juice but be careful not to put too much in or your pie will be too runny. Also, I prefer the shortbread base myself, but thats just me. Most folks like the pie shell better. If you do the shortbread base the recipe above is enough for two pies. Make sure to press the crumbs up the sides of the pie plate before baking.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:21 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Alix, one of my favorite things is lemon.I always had mom bake me a lemon pie for my birthday, forget a cake This looks so delicious,thank you it's on my to do and very soon list.
kades

Old 10-28-2009, 12:01 AM   #3
Everymom

Hope you like it kadesma. I promised this recipe to Andy sometime ago and it took me FOREVER to find it again.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:38 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

my lemon pies will not set up. what should i do?
Old 01-08-2012, 10:33 PM   #5
Executive Chef

My sister used to make a graham cookie crusted lemon pie, with very thinly sliced lemon pieces including the rind. The pie had an amazing sweet/sour taste! I recently asked her for the recipe and she said she forgot. I mean, come on! It was only 40 years ago!

Anybody else ever have lemon pie with lemon slices?
Old 01-08-2012, 10:49 PM   #6
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougsr53 View Post
my lemon pies will not set up. what should i do?
It would be easier to help you if we knew the recipe you are using.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:00 PM   #7
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
My sister used to make a graham cookie crusted lemon pie, with very thinly sliced lemon pieces including the rind. The pie had an amazing sweet/sour taste! I recently asked her for the recipe and she said she forgot. I mean, come on! It was only 40 years ago!

Anybody else ever have lemon pie with lemon slices?

Sounds good, hadn't thought of using fresh slices in pie. Yum, hopefully someone knows the recipe.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:30 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Sounds good, hadn't thought of using fresh slices in pie. Yum, hopefully someone knows the recipe.
I think we have to invent it. This recipe would particularly appeal to people like me who don't have the sweet tooth.

One day I'll be motivated to recreate this recipe. All I have to remember is what it tasted like, and get motivated to just do it. I recall one of my mom's recipes, she couldn't remember the recipe and didn't have it written down, I googled dozens of similar recipes and worked through it, ended up cooking about two dozen variations before I finally combined pieces from different recipes and got what seemed to me to be exactly my mom's recipe. Maybe even better!

That's one thing I like about cooking. You can just keep going on anything until you're finally satisfied with the results. You can accomplish anything if you refuse to quit.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:56 PM   #9
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
I think we have to invent it. This recipe would particularly appeal to people like me who don't have the sweet tooth.

One day I'll be motivated to recreate this recipe. All I have to remember is what it tasted like, and get motivated to just do it. I recall one of my mom's recipes, she couldn't remember the recipe and didn't have it written down, I googled dozens of similar recipes and worked through it, ended up cooking about two dozen variations before I finally combined pieces from different recipes and got what seemed to me to be exactly my mom's recipe. Maybe even better!

That's one thing I like about cooking. You can just keep going on anything until you're finally satisfied with the results. You can accomplish anything if you refuse to quit.
Was it a Lemon meringue type filling with the fresh slices?
Old 01-09-2012, 12:38 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Clear lemon filling other than the slices (probably thickened lemon juice), graham cracker crust, meringue topping.

Fortunately this doesn't sound too hard to make, whenever I get around to it. The only unusual aspect is the thin lemon slices with peel still attached. I recall it tasted very citrusy-fruity.

Tags
None