Another Meringue question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pdswife

Chef Extraordinaire
The recipe we have
is

2 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tarter
4 Tbs white sugar

We want to increase the amount of the finished product.
I plan on adding one one egg white. How much cream of tarter and sugar should I add?? Or should I just double the recipe?:)

Thanks, Trish and Paulie

I don't think you would have to adjust much...I use:

6 egg whites..
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon cream of tarter
1 teaspoon vanilla

maybe you can pick something in between?

You could probably just add 1 egg white to the current recipe and be okay. But, if you want to adjust it to 3 egg whites and keep the ratio of ingredients the same just divide the ingredients by the number of egg whites (2) in your recipe to get the amounts per egg:

1 egg white
1/8 tsp Cream of Tartar
2 Tbs sugar

Then multiple by the number of egg whites you want to use (3):

3 egg whites
3/8 tsp Cream of Tartar
6 Tbs sugar

Kalinda's recipe, cut in half for 3 egg whites, would be:

3 egg whites
1/4 tsp Cream of Tartar
8 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla

It's going to be the topping on a lemon pie that we're taking to a Christmas Eve party. I know it's not a Christmas dessert but it sounds so good!!!

Knowing what you're going to do with your meringue helps. I just checked what Shirley Corriher had to say in her book Cookwise on the topic of meringue for pies - according to her the ratio of egg white/cream of tartar/sugar in your recipe is perfect. So, going back to what we discussed earlier:

3 egg whites
3/8 tsp Cream of Tartar
6 Tbs sugar

When you put the meringue on top of the pie - make sure you spread it all the way out to the edges so it contacts the crust all the way around the pie. This helps prevent the meringue from shrinking.

pdswife said:
It's going to be the topping on a lemon pie that we're taking to a Christmas Eve party. I know it's not a Christmas dessert but it sounds so good!!!
Sounds fantastic, I'm all for cooking (and doing) whatever makes you happy durring the holidays. This is the perfect time of year to cook (bake) your favourites, and lemon pie sounds like it's one of your's :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom