Anyone ever made a square pie?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SodiumPentathol

Assistant Cook
I don't have a pie plate, and can't muster the energy to go dig through my boxes that are still at my parents' place in hopes of finding mine. But I have two lemons just begging to be made into a pie, and I have a hankering for a nice buttery french apple pie. Just wondering if anyone has tried to form a pie in something OTHER than a pie plate?

How about a spring form or cake pan?

A rectangular pan could work but the corners may overcook.

Sure have!

I have used a square 8x8 ceramic dish to make a blueberry sour-cream pie with. (I had to travel with the dish and I wanted one with high enough sides that it wouldn't make a mess on the road.) I just folded the top edge of the dough over onto itself and used a fork to make ridges in it. It looked cute!

I imagine you could use a bread pan with equal success as well. =)

Last edited:
I use my 6X8 (ish) glass casserole dish. It doesn't matter if the crust comes up over the filling or not.

I like glass as it lets me see if the crust is done on the bottom.

I finally got around to buying a nice glass pie plate. I haven't used it once.

i had a pan, gave it to granddaughter. the silly thing was oblong and it was for pie. guess the idea was each piece was a perfect triangle.

you can make pie in anything you want to. i think the depth is the only thing that matters much. but that's just me.

i had a pan, gave it to granddaughter. the silly thing was oblong and it was for pie. guess the idea was each piece was a perfect triangle.

you can make pie in anything you want to. i think the depth is the only thing that matters much. but that's just me.

I have one of those pans. I thought it would be great for one. I just haven't used it yet.:LOL:

I've made most of my pies in a small square Glass oven dish. I butter and flour the dish then pie doesn't stick. I don't even own a round pie dish! I like the square dishes, it's easier to portion.

I just saw blog post about making pies in widemouth half pint mason jars. They were adorable. Just use your regular recipe for crust and filling. Use the jar ring to cut the top crust. Bake for 50-60 minutes for a fruit pie.

I will look for the link later, but the blogger said she regularly froze these unbaked--pie on demand!! (And portion control, for those of us who might get carried away at the sight of a big pie!!)

Mason jars are made to take thermal stress--don't use a regular jar.

Awesome! I'm so glad I'm not the only one! Looks like I'm whipping up a square lemon meringue pie tomorrow ;)

Sure have!

I have used a square 8x8 ceramic dish to make a blueberry sour-cream pie with. (I had to travel with the dish and I wanted one with high enough sides that it wouldn't make a mess on the road.) I just folded the top edge of the dough over onto itself and used a fork to make ridges in it. It looked cute!

this sounds like a good plan. i tried to make pie in a square pan but the edges wouldn't stay up while it cooked. You could just do a rustic tart on a flat pan using just the dough to hold the filling.

Sure have!

This is ingenious.

:ohmy:But making a square pie is like breaking the law to me. That's what happens when you learn pi at school. It's gotta be circular!:ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom