Apple Pie Filling help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kroozemissile

Assistant Cook
Here's my problem... I make good crust, good filling, but when I take the pie out of th oven the Crust remains perfect and my filling shrinks down. The pie top is 3 inches above the table and the filling is just above the rim leaving about an inch and a half of AIR. I fill the pie 2 inches above the pie rim (Its a big dome) but this continues to happen. I think it may be that I'm baking them too long allowing the apples to literally shrink down too much. Everything else is perfect except for the AIR Space. I think one I baked the pie and the apples were still kind of hard, so I've increased the baking time since then not realizing this may be causing this. If anyone can help please post an answer for me. Thanks.

Well, like I've said many times before I don't bake BUT are you putting your pie in the upper part of your oven? It will brown quicker in the upper portion therefore requiring less cooking time which in turn cause less shrinkage of the apples.

This is just my uneducated guess - any bakers out there????

Hang in there until BW gets home - she's won blue ribons for her apple pie - deservedly so in my opinion!

She also mounds the apples - sliced fairly thickly (3.801/2 inch?) very high. I amy be wrong, but I think she get som airspace after baking, too. Perhaps not as much as you mention.

But who cares? The pie is scrumptiious.

Be back shortyl.

O.K. - the World's Leading Expert on Apple Pie said, and I quote:

"Of course there's an airspace - the apples cook down. But when you slice the pie, the crust collapses down onto the apples, so it looks fine.."

My suggestion" If, after cutting, the crust has not collapsed onto the apples, fill the gap with vanilla ice cream! :)

Back
Top Bottom