Apple Pie for Forty-Five

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Here's the scenario. I have to make enough apple pie for forty or more people at a church pot luck. I have ten Macintosh apples, sugar, lard, flour, salt, & spices. Now just how do you get 40 to 45 slices out of two pies (that's about what you'd get from 10 apples). Here's how I did it, and I got rave reviews. Though time intensive, the solution was simple. I made 45 mini-pies.

Ingredients:
10 Macintosh Apples
2 cups plus 1/2 cup sugar
1.5 tsp. salt
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 fresh nutmeg seed
5 tbs. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. mace
lard
1 cup cold water

Preheat oven to 400' F.
Peel, core, and finely dice apples into a bath of cold water
Combine the flour, 2 tbs. cinnamon, salt, and 1 cup sugar, whisking together. Grate the nutmeg into the flour mixture and again whisk together. Cut in 1 cup of lard or shortening. Add more lard as needed, cutting in thoroughly until you get the pea-gravel texture. Fold in the water, stirring just until the water is incorporated. Drain the diced apple and mix with the remaining sugar, cinnamon, and mace. Sprinkle the apple mixture with 1/2 cup of flour.

Remove a ball 2 inch ball of dough and flatten with hands. Lay on a well floured working surface and roll into a thin circle about 4 inches in diameter. Place a suitable dollop of the apple mixture onto the circle and fold the dough in half around in, pinching the ends to seal. Place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. When the sheet is full of your mini pies, or turn-overs, sprinkle sugar over them and bake in the oven for twenty minutes. Remove and let cool.

My cookie sheet will hold 20 mini pies, if placed in tight rows. So I was able to bake one batch while I continued folding pies for the 2nd batch. These were really popular at the pot luck. To make them prettier, you can brush one side with egg-wash before sprinkling with sugar.

Of course, you can use this technique to make pies with most any filling you want, including meat and veggies (aka mini-pasties), pizza filling, custards and puddings, various fruit fillings, even peanut butter and jelly if you choose. Think ham and cheese, all melted together and served hot.

Oh, one more thing. I had left-over filling. I just cooked it in a sauce pot until the apples were barely cooked. I had to add a bit of water to the mixture to keep it from thickening too much. I then poured my "applke pudding" into a suitable microwave safe caserole dish and covered with a mixture of rolled oats, flour, brown sugar, and butter (like for an apple crisp). I served that cold at the pot luck as well. Everyone thought it was a wonderful desert, not just a way to use up left-over apple pie filling. Serve with a little Chantilly Cream (sweetened vanilla whipped cream), or vanilla ice cream and your good to go.

Enjoy.

Oh, and one more thing; as many of you know, I had a miserable time for years trying to figure out how to get my apple pie filling to the right texture. Thanks to all of my DC freinds, I have taken the advice you gave me, worked with it, and now can make anything with apples that I can imagine. Now see what a great place this is?

Oh, and one more thing, my pie crust came out extremely light, flaky, and tender. And it was made with all room-temperature ingredients. The only cold thing I used was cold tap water to moisten the dough. Pie crust is really so easy once you get the hang of it. No need for chilling everything, or fussing about perfect measurements. Once you know what it's supposed to look like after the fat and flour are cut together, you can litterally throw toghether any amount of pie dough you need, with virtually no measuring. Really.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Wow!!!! Great job.
I can only dream of light flaky crusts like yours.
They had a treat they won't soon forget :)

Munky.

Hello GW!!
I love your recipe for the mini apple pies or better still, the turnovers (I love both!!). As very soon I will have a meeting of friends in my apartment -about 20- I like the idea of making the turnovers. Can they be made ahead of time and is it possible to freeze them? will they be ok? and how long in the oven?
Or if you - or somebody else- have some other suggestions for another dish to serve, I will be gratefull (nothing complicated, something light) as the meeting is from 2 to 6 pm.
Thanks in advance. Keep well ........

Hello GW!!
I love your recipe for the mini apple pies or better still, the turnovers (I love both!!). As very soon I will have a meeting of friends in my apartment -about 20- I like the idea of making the turnovers. Can they be made ahead of time and is it possible to freeze them? will they be ok? and how long in the oven?
Or if you - or somebody else- have some other suggestions for another dish to serve, I will be gratefull (nothing complicated, something light) as the meeting is from 2 to 6 pm.
Thanks in advance. Keep well ........

Making in advance and freezing them is a wonderful idea and will work well. And you can easily freeze before or after baking, as you like. If htey are pre-cooked before freezing, simply thaw at room temperature in the container you froze them in, to avoid condensation from making the crust gooey. If you freeze them uncooked, place them on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and pop them into a 375 degree oven for forty-five minutes.

To bake them fresh, line them up neatly on a parchment-paper lined cookie sheet and bake for 20 minutes at 400 degrees F. I can fit 15 on one of my cookie sheets, and 20 on the other.

I wish you great success.

Oh, you wanted another idea for your get-together. I made full-sized pigs in the blanket with fresh, home-made yeast dough and good hot dogs for another get together. Though there were lots of great entre's there, the pig-in-the-blankets were the favorite dish. In fact, I still get asked by some of those who ate them when I'm going to make them again.

And then, there's always pulled pork. So easy and good. Take one bosto butt pork roast and place it into your slow cooker the night before. Fill the cooker half full fo water and let it cook all night and the next day, until 30 minutes before you will be searving your guests. Then, remove the roast and shred it with a fork. Serve hot in a large bowl with whole wheat buns and a couple different types of barbecue sauce as condiments. Together with a good slaw, this is hard to beat.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

10 apples for 45 people? Don't you mean 10 pounds of apples? Seems a little thin as I use at least 5 apples for a single pie, and that yields 6 to 8 servings.

10 apples for 45 people? Don't you mean 10 pounds of apples? Seems a little thin as I use at least 5 apples for a single pie, and that yields 6 to 8 servings.

Yep, I stated it correctly, 10 apples for 45 people. You see, when the apple is peeled and diced small, mixed with sugar and flour, nutmeg and a bit of salt, it can go an awful long way. 1 tsp. of filling per mini-pie was almost too much for the turn-over tool. And yet, the filling was enough to impart great flavor.

For the crust, I just used standard pie crust with flour, lard, and salt, and added mace and sugar to kick up the flavor a bit. Everyone gushed about the little pie/turnovers.

10 apples, 3 cups of flour, and about 3 cups of sugar is enough for 45 people then.

And yes, for my deep-dish pie pan, I need a full 8 apples. But that pie wouldn't feed 45 people.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

:heart:Goodweed I love you!:heart: (oops I hope no one else saw that!)

I am doing a dessert wedding reception and was going to do around 50 mini pies and haven't gotten myself to do the calculations yet. You have done them for me you wonderful man!

:heart:Goodweed I love you!:heart: (oops I hope no one else saw that!)

I am doing a dessert wedding reception and was going to do around 50 mini pies and haven't gotten myself to do the calculations yet. You have done them for me you wonderful man!

Happy to be of help. And that's why I do this stuff.:chef:

Seeeeeeya; Godoweed of the North

Apple pie for forty five

Thanks Goodweed!!
The little pastries were a hit with my friends, they loved them with the ice cream.
Instead of the pigs in blankets, I made a chicken salad ( I think it was Katie´s recipe- Or perhaps Kadesma? I dont remember well...:() served with a nice green salad, as the day was really hot.
Thanks to all of the members of DC, as their recipes and discussions about them really help to make delicious food!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom