Apple pie moisture w/gala/fuji apples

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arb.geb

Assistant Cook
Need help. We have two apple trees (gala and fuji) in the yard and they make great tasting apple pies BUT there is too much water and of course the buttom crust is a wipe out.
I have tried over cooking (as much as 2 + hrs at 400) and dumping water duing this time (not fun) then the apples are not good and there is still moisture.
I have tried pre cooking the appples on the stove top w/ the normal ingredients, added 1/2 cup of water to get it started and when the apples started to get soft I removed 2 1/2 cups of water, (was some left but there needs to be some juices) baked the assembled pie at normal temp.;10 min @ 400 and 1 hr at 350-same bad results too much water and a lost bottom crust.
Have tried apple crisp and is better cause no crust but still watery, applsause is good and does good as a sub. for oil in baking, but nothing beats a good apple pie.
I know Mrs Smith's are the apple BUT I have a lot of these and they do taste good just don't look for the bottom crust. I like to stock pile these in the freezer (which doesn't change the problem) and they are getting ripe (have deer standing in line to get some) so please help.

Ar.Guy

I'm sure someone will come and answer your question soon Arb.

Welcome to the group!

arb.geb@cox.net said:
Need help. We have two apple trees (gala and fuji) in the yard and they make great tasting apple pies BUT there is too much water and of course the buttom crust is a wipe out.
I have tried over cooking (as much as 2 + hrs at 400) and dumping water duing this time (not fun) then the apples are not good and there is still moisture.
I have tried pre cooking the appples on the stove top w/ the normal ingredients, added 1/2 cup of water to get it started and when the apples started to get soft I removed 2 1/2 cups of water, (was some left but there needs to be some juices) baked the assembled pie at normal temp.;10 min @ 400 and 1 hr at 350-same bad results too much water and a lost bottom crust.
Have tried apple crisp and is better cause no crust but still watery, applsause is good and does good as a sub. for oil in baking, but nothing beats a good apple pie.
I know Mrs Smith's are the apple BUT I have a lot of these and they do taste good just don't look for the bottom crust. I like to stock pile these in the freezer (which doesn't change the problem) and they are getting ripe (have deer standing in line to get some) so please help.

Ar.Guy
Arb,
the only thing I can think of is something my mom always did when making fruit pies. That was to add cornstarch to the mix of fruit and spices before baking to help absorb the juices. I believe that tapioca will also work for this as well. Welcome to DC..:)

kadesma

Try smearing about 1/4 cup of flour on the bottom of the pie crust to absorb some of the water. Do as kadesma suggests too with the cornstarch. Can you par cook your apples? My suggestion would be to chunk them up and put them in the microwave for a few minutes to soften them and then drain any water from that.

Or, you could use 1/2 Granny Smith's and 1/2 of your apples.

Consider trying a combination of these things:

1. Brush the bottom crust with egg whites and bake for 10 minutes to harden. This will create a waterproof barrier.

2. Precook the filling to release some of the liquid and pour it off. Then mix in the seasonings so they're not drained off with the liquid.

3. Mix a thickener such as flour or tapioca to help with the release of liquids.

If that doesn't work, try cortland or Granny Smith apples.

I prefer Fuji apples for pie, and I'be never observed the problem you describe. I buy my apples in the store rather than grow them (as if I could here!).

Could it be that your apples are too fresh or too young and full of juice?

Ok I'm working on it now that I found the tapioca flour, how much do I use in a 9 in. pie? One of the older posts had as much as 1/3 cup which sounds like a lot.
I have wondered about them being "just picked" as Fry Boy said but don't see a fix for that except the things Andy M out lined , so tomarrow is pie baking day. W/ luck I'll have a good post soon-have to bake one to try out all this stuff-a tough job but some ones got to do it. Appreciate the help...ar.guy

when apples cook, the cells break and the juices flow. either more or less depending on the variety.

you can use just about any kind of starch to absorb this juice. the amount of liquid these starches absorb will vary somewhat, as will the resulting consistency. many people use flour. i prefer quick-cooking tapioca. you can probably do ok with cornstarch, arrowroot starch, etc.. because they abosorb slightly different amounts of water, you will need slightly more or less depending on what you use. i use a heaping handful of quick tapioca for my pies, but i'm also throwing in some lemon juice and a good knob of butter. 1/4 or 1/3 cup sounds about right, whatever you use. adjustmore or less your next time around, and good luck on your pie.
icon12.gif

I also use the quick cooking tapioca for my pies and it really is good. I have about 20 apples to use up this week so I'll be making pies also.

Andy M. said:
Consider trying a combination of these things:

1. Brush the bottom crust with egg whites and bake for 10 minutes to harden. This will create a waterproof barrier.

2. Precook the filling to release some of the liquid and pour it off. Then mix in the seasonings so they're not drained off with the liquid.

3. Mix a thickener such as flour or tapioca to help with the release of liquids.

If that doesn't work, try cortland or Granny Smith apples.

if you're baking the bottom crust, how do you attach the top crust?

also , if you were to precook the apples to the point where you could get juice to pour off, and were then to fill the pie and bake it, i think you'd end up with a consistency close to apple sauce.

grannies are definitely great though. wish i could get them here!

thumpershere2 said:
I also use the quick cooking tapioca for my pies and it really is good. I have about 20 apples to use up this week so I'll be making pies also.

if you don't mind forking up the overnight postage, i'll take one of those pies off your hands.
icon12.gif
hee hee

Back
Top Bottom